Overwatch League (OWL) is the premier Professional Esports League for Overwatch, organized by Blizzard Entertainment. The league is touted as the first 'truly global professional esports league' , featuring franchised teams representing cities from all around the world.
The League currently has 12 team owners for the inaugural season, set to start in January 10 2018. The preseason will begin December 6 2017 featuring all 12 teams showcased in exhibition matches.
Overwatch League was announced at BlizzCon 2016. A trailer was released, detailing the career of fictional player 'Krusher99'. The league was revealed to be using a franchising model for its teams, with each team spot representing a city.
First Seven Teams
On July 12th, 2017, Blizzard announced the first 7 Cities and Team Owners participating in the Overwatch League. The Cities and Owners announced were:
- Boston, owned by Robert Kraft, Chairman and CEO of the Kraft Group, owners of the American Football team the New England Patriots.
- New York, owned by Jeff Wilpon, COO of the baseball team The New York Mets.
- Los Angeles, owned by Noah Whinston, CEO of Immortals.
- Miami-Orlando, owned by Ben Spoont, CEO and Co-Founder of Misfits.
- San Francisco, owned by Andy Miller, Chairman and Founder of NRG Esports.
- Shanghai, owned by NetEase, a Chinese Internet Technology company that distributes Blizzard games in China.
- Seoul, owned by Kevin Chou, Chairman and CEO of KSV eSports.
Season 1 Player Salaries and Signing Period Announced
On July 26th, 2017, Blizzard released details on player salaries and signing procedure and timelines for the inaugural season. It outlined, among other things, that the minimum player salary would be USD$50,000, and that initial contracts would be for a minimum term of 1 year. All teams will be required to provide health insurance, a retirement savings plan, and provide player housing and practice facilities for their players.
Teams would also be required to distribute at least 50% of their team performance bonuses to their players directly, and that the total bonuses available for OWL teams in Season 1 will amount to USD$3.5 million, with a minimum of USD$1 million awarded to Season 1 Champions
The announcement also outlined the Official Player Signing Window for Season 1: from August 1st to October 30th 2017. Teams will be required to have at least 6 players, and no more than 12 total.
Further Teams Announced
- Los Angeles, owned by Stan Kroenke and Josh Kroenke, owners of several American sports franchises, and founders of KSE Esports.
- London, owned by Jack Etienne, Founder and CEO of Cloud9.
- Dallas, owned by Mike Rufail, Owner and CEO of Team EnVyUs, the spot is also co-owned by nV investor Hersh Interactive.
- Houston, owned by Hector Rodriguez, Owner and CEO of OpTic Gaming.
- Philadelphia, owned by Comcast Spectacor, sports and entertainment company, manages hundreds of stadiums in North America and Singapore.
The current teams in Overwatch League are:
|City||Team Name||Owner||Team Announced||First Season|
|Boston||Boston Uprising||Robert Kraft||2017-07-12 ||Season 1|
|Dallas||Dallas Fuel||Mike Rufail||2017-09-20 ||Season 1|
|Houston||Houston Outlaws||Hector Rodriguez||2017-09-20 ||Season 1|
|London||London Spitfire||Jack Etienne||2017-08-10 ||Season 1|
|Los Angeles||Los Angeles Valiant||Noah Whinston||2017-07-12 ||Season 1|
|Los Angeles||Los Angeles Gladiators||Stan Kroenke and Josh Kroenke||2017-08-10 ||Season 1|
|Miami-Orlando||Florida Mayhem||Ben Spoont||2017-07-12 ||Season 1|
|New York||New York Excelsior||Jeff Wilpon||2017-07-12 ||Season 1|
|Philadelphia||Philadelphia Fusion||Comcast Spectacor||2017-09-20 ||Season 1|
|San Francisco||San Francisco Shock||Andy Miller||2017-07-12 ||Season 1|
|Seoul||Seoul Dynasty||Kevin Chou||2017-07-12 ||Season 1|
|Shanghai||Shanghai Dragons||NetEase||2017-07-12 ||Season 1|
|Nate Nanzer||League Commissioner||2016-11-04|
|Alchemist||Jason Baker||Lead Observer||2017-10-01|
|CaptainPlanet||Ben Trautman||Live Stats Producer||2017-11-28|
- From the Overwatch League Office | Welcome Our Initial Seven Teams by Blizzard Entertainment 2017-07-12 |
- Robert Kraft Calls Upstart Overwatch League The "Future Of Sport In Many Ways"
- OWL First Seven team owners announced
- "THE OVERWATCH LEAGUE WELCOMES FINAL TEAMS FOR INAUGURAL SEASON". Blizzard. 2017-09-20.
- OWL Announced BlizzCon 2016
- OWL announced to start Q3
- PLAYER SIGNINGS, SALARIES, AND MORE IN THE OVERWATCH LEAGUE™
- "THE OVERWATCH LEAGUE WELCOMES LONDON, SECOND LOS ANGELES TEAM.". Blizzard. 2017-08-10.