DRG 10 Roach Pressure (vs T)
The 10 roach pressure is designed to punish a greedy terran. It's often successful against Command Center first openings, and can sometimes outright win the game. Unfortunately, without doing an acceptable amount of damage, the build is susceptible to counter attacks.
This is a mildly aggressive build that focuses on taking advantage of the fact that taking an early gas as Zerg is considered normal, and that Terran players are favoring Command Center first builds. You're aiming to kill ~10+ workers with the roaches, while ignoring any of their offensive units when you can.
Basic Build Order
|"10 Roach Pressure"|
- The first pair of zerglings you produce will be used to hunt down the scouting SCV to prevent any further scouting from the Terran. - After the main base's Queen injects once, send her to the natural to deny scouting. - The first 6 roaches will be produced from the main base. - The final 4 roaches will be produced in pairs of 2 from the natural expansion hatchery. - If the Terran's defensive bunker is not directly in your path, ignore it. Focus fire SCVs, and try to make it into their main base.
- Drone scout at 10 supply. - A Barracks, but no gas from the Terran means a Barracks Expand, and it is safe to continue with the build. - A Barracks, with a single gas building means Reaper Expand. Don't continue with the build. - No Barracks, ~13 SCVs with more in construction, means Command Center first, so you can continue with the build. - Barracks, with a single gas completed and mining, means Reactored Hellions. Don't continue with the build. - After the attack, you should know his tech path. Any techlab on the starport, and you should build additional queens to defend, along with some roaches for hellion defense.
- During the initial attack, you will be droning both bases, teching Lair, and getting the rest of your gasses. Once you're at full two base saturation (16 drones mining minerals at each base, 6 on gas at each base), you can start making Roaches. When lair completes, start roach speed and continue making roaches. When Roach speed is nearly completed, push out with ~25 roaches with the intent of doing more damage. Build your third hatchery, and saturate it during the attack. How you proceed from here is up to you.
- You should only be using this build against Macro oriented plays from the Terran, and have limited scouting ability. It was originally designed to work well against Barracks Expand, but works equally well against Command Center first.
- Avoid using this build against Reaper Expand, as it provides the Terran with too much knowledge about what you're doing.
- Short rush distances.
- No Natural ramp
- Open naturals
- 4 player maps
- Large rush distances
Replays & VODs
|DRG||DRG talks through the build.|
|Date: January 15, 2013|
|Cereal||Against Command Center first|
|Date: November 16, 2013|
|Cereal||Against Command Center first, with follow up attack|
|Date: November 16, 2013|