Intel Extreme Masters Season VI
The Intel Extreme Masters is ESL's flagship competition sponsored by Intel. IEM is a huge tournament spanning many months and individual competitions culminating in the Global Championships. While each year the games played changes, for Season VI, Starcraft 2 will be played alongside Counter Strike 1.6 and League of Legends. Tournaments involved in the IEM range from small online qualifiers with $100 prizes to huge live events giving away upwards of 5 figure cash prizes to the winners of major events.
Season VI features five Global Challenges and a World Championship. Each Global Challenge's StarCraft II tournament will feature 16 qualified players, 8 from the host continent and 8 from the rest of the world.
- Global Challenge Cologne (2011-08-17 – 2011-08-21)
- Global Challenge Guangzhou (2011-10-01 – 2011-10-05)
- Global Challenge New York (2011-10-13 – 2011-10-16)
- Global Challenge Kiev (2012-01-19 – 2012-01-22)
- Global Challenge Sao Paulo (2012-02-08 – 2012-02-11)
Finals / World Championship:
- World Championship (2012-03-06 – 2012-03-10)
The total prize pool for Season VI is $636,000, spread between various games and events as follows:
|Event||Prizes (Total)||Prizes (SC2)|
|Global Challenge Cologne||$53,000||$21,000|
|Global Challenge Guangzhou||$93,000||$21,000|
|Global Challenge New York||$93,000||$21,000|
|Global Challenge Kiev||$93,000||$21,000|
|Global Challenge Sao Paulo||$21,000||$21,000|
- One highest ranked team or player from each of the three Intel Extreme Masters regions (the Americas, Europe and Africa, Asia and Oceania) will be invited to the World Championship.
- The top 2 teams or players from every Intel Extreme Masters Global Challenge will be invited to the World Championship.
- The remaining World Championship slots will go to the highest ranked teams or players in the season.
- Global Challenges
- The Counter-Strike 1.6 and League of Legends tournaments in every Global Challenge will each feature 8 teams, while every StarCraft II Global Challenge will have 16 participants.
- World Championship
- The Intel Extreme Masters World Championship will feature 12 Counter-Strike 1.6 teams, 12 League of Legends teams and 24 StarCraft II players.