- This article is for the Legacy of the Void multiplayer version. For the Heart of the Swarm version, see Raven (Heart of the Swarm). For the Wings of Liberty version, see Raven (Wings of Liberty).
The Raven is a flying support craft with detection. It provides both defensive and offensive capabilities through the use of its abilities. The Raven is the spiritual successor to StarCraft: Brood War's Science Vessel.
Ravens are a useful addition to a mid or late-game Terran army. With detection, a Terran player is able to see both cloaked and burrowed units within the Raven's sight range. Allowing them to cast any of their abilities to stop cloaked foes such as Ghosts, Dark Templar and Burrowed Roach Sorties.
Ravens are equipped with an Interference Matrix, this is a long range cast-able missile that disables the enemies abilities and attacks but does not stop movement. The effect lasts for 6 seconds and is effective at disabling key units much like BW Ghost's lockdown. The ability costs 50 energy and is castable at 9 range. The raven will deploy the missile which will then rapidly accelerate towards the enemy, not dodge-able once casted. The ability is most effective when used against units such as Carriers and Mothership or other high priority units (Battlecrusier disables warp and yamato). The ability is also highly effective against the protoss Oracle. The Ability can only be cast against mechanical or psionic units.
The Ravens second ability is the Repair Drone which heals around 12.6 mechanical unit life per second and lasts for 90 seconds. It is capable of healing around 1080 HP with it's starting energy reserve (200) . The repair drone allows mech based armies to fall back on after an engagement much like an after battle repair. The drone should be placed further behind if casted as a mid-battle healing mechanism, which is best used together with other healing/repair units such as SCVs and medivacs (for hellbats) as multiple drones cannot heal stack on the same unit. The drone has an effective range of 5 but can only be deployed by the raven at 3 range. Much like it's predecessor the Point Defense Drone, the Repair Drone has lower unit priority than other units. The drone costs 75 energy and thus can be placed after using Anti-Armor Missile. The Repair drone synergizes well with the medivac-healable Hellbat allowing unparalleled onfield repairing power (include SCVs for even more repair).
The Raven's Third ability is Anti-Armor Missile, which functions similar to the old Seeker Missile. After 2 seconds of being deployed, the missile fires forward and pursues it's target rapidly after it locks on. If the target moves out of it's tracking range than the missile is wasted. The Anti-Armor Missile inflicts 30 splash damage in a manner similar to a siege tank's splash in siege mode, targets closer to the epicenter of the explosion are dealt the full damage while enemies farther out are dealt less. The Missile as it's name implies removes up to 3 armor on all units in the blast radius, this is further enhanced by Enhanced Munitions which increase the blast radius by 20% and tracking radius by 50%. The ability costs 100 energy and is castable at 10 range though it's pursuing distance can be extended to 18 range given there is vision (such as through a scanner sweep). Against Zerg the missile if effective at shredding ultralisk based comps as the explosion can cover up to 3-4 closely packed ultralisks, 6-7 once upgrade Enhanced Munitions is complete. Against Terran the Missile is effective against Battlecruisers and Thors. Against Protoss the missile doesn't affect shield armor so it should be used along with the Ghost EMP round and it is effective against Colossus based armies.
Increases the Raven's Anti-Armor Missile explosion radius by 20% and its tracking range by 50%.
Disables a target unit rendering it unable to attack or use abilities for 6 seconds. Reveals Cloaked units.
Deploys a Missile which activates after 1.4 seconds and pursues the target unit, dealing 30 splash damage upon contact and reducing armor of affected units by 3 for 21 seconds.
Damage: 100 (+30)
Missile comes out and stays immobile in front of the Raven for 4 seconds while charging up, then rapidly moves (it’s not dodgeable at this point) and explodes at the target, causing 100 damage to target plus splash damage. Targeted unit lights up red when targeted. If the unit moves 13 range out of where the Seeker Missile is, the Missile fizzles.
| 150 150 79
|Researched from: Tech Lab
|Increases the Raven's starting energy by 25.
The Terran player uses Ravens to support his push during a TvP on Metalopolis
Ravens are primarily used as mobile detectors
in TvP, providing protection from Dark Templar
, and allowing the Terran
to destroy scouting Observers
to limit the information gathering abilities of the opposing Protoss player. The Raven's Point Defense Drone will block a Tempest's attack and can be used to defend Battlecruisers. The Raven's inability to be used as strong counter to any specific Protoss
unit, and its susceptibility to a High Templar
, limits its uses in TvP.
Raven TvT use is dictated by the opening builds of the two players, and the amount of gas they consume. They are commonly used to defend against early Banshee
harass when paired with a defensive Viking
. Ravens are commonly used with mech based armies facing bio based armies due to Point Defense Drones blocking Marauder attacks. Seeker missiles are also useful at forcing opposing Siege Tanks
to unsiege in a stalemate situation.
Ravens have multiple uses in TvZ. One of the major benefits of Raven usage is its functionality as a mobile Detector
. This allows the Terran player to defend properly against burrowed Banelings
, and Infestors
, limiting the damage the Zerg units can cause.
Ravens can also be a strong counter to Swarm Hosts, since Seeker Missiles have long range and Swarm Hosts burrow in clumps, allowing a few well placed Seeker Missiles to destroy the Swarm Host force, force them to unburrow and retreat, or bruise them badly enough so the Terran force can brute force their way through. A good numbers of Point Defense Drones combined with a sufficient tank force can also nearly indefinitely stop locust attacks. Against Swarm Hosts, Ravens are usually paired with Vikings to deal with an air transition more easily.
- Ready for service.
- Scanning battlefield conditions.
- Engineering at your disposal.
- Awaiting orders.
- State your request.
- Logic capacitor, offline.
- Darn, I appear to have Tourette's syndrome.
- Command not recognized.
- Can not comply.
- What are you doing, commander? 
- What have you done for me lately, human?
- I'm sorry, commander, I'm afraid I can't do that.
- Authority override in effect.
- This vessel has assumed control. It has assumed control.
- All your base are belong to us.
- I know I've made some very poor decisions lately, but I can give complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
- Who said anything about cake?
- Job confirmed.
- Order accepted.
- This vessel will comply.
- Command authority registered.
- Systems primed.
- Right away.
- Order acknowledged.
- Under way.
- Auto turret
- Seeker missile
- Point defense drone
- This vessel requires assistance.
Raven's quotes (video and sound) - YouTube video.
| Patch 3.8.0 
- Auto Turret damage increased from 16 to 24.
| Patch 3.14.0 
- Auto-Turret damage reduced from 24 to 18.
- Auto-Turret duration increased from 7.14 to 10.
| Patch 4.0.0 
- Removed Auto-Turret, Point Defense Drone, and Seeker Missile abilities.
- Added Interference Matrix, Repair Drone, and Anti-Armor Missile abilities.
- Interference Matrix:
- Disables a Mechanical or Psionic unit rendering it unable to attack or use abilities for 6 seconds.
- Repair Drone:
- Deploys a drone that automatically repairs nearby friendly mechanical units for 90 seconds.
- Repairs life at 12.6 life per second, drains 1 energy for every 3 life repaired.
- Anti-Armor Missile:
- Deploys a Missile which activates after 2 seconds and pursues the target units, dealing 30 splash damage upon contact and reducing armor of affected units by 3 for 21 seconds.
- New upgrade "Enhanced Munitions":
- Research from Starport Tech Lab
- Cost: 150 Minerals/150 Vespene Gas/79 seconds.
- Increases the Anti-Armor Missile's explosion radius by 20% and its tracking range by 50%.
| Patch 4.1.1 Balance Update
- Anti-Armor Missile lock time reduced from 2.14 to 1.43.
- Anti-Armor Missile energy cost reduced from 125 to 100.
- Interference Matrix range increased from 8 to 9.
- Interference Matrix missile mover speed increased by 50%.