Arena is a Age of Empires 2 multiplayer map. All players start with pre-built stone walls around their starting Town Center. This setup leads often to longer games as early rush strategies are less effective. It is the classic map when it comes to so-called closed maps, that is why this map has always been in the ranked mappool for AoE II DE next to Arabia.
- Every player starts with a base surrounded by stone-walls.
- Extensive woodlines around the edges of the map.
- No hills to avoid camping on hills benefitting the player on top with hill bonus.
The latter two features distinguishes Arena heavily from the other well-known map Fortress, where you also start with a stone-walled base.
The layout of the map leads to a general delay of any aggression into Castle Age due to having a safe starting base and safe access to ressources. Therefore, a Fast Castle-strategy is seen the most frequently. Here specifically, the players try to get to Castle Age as fast as possible to gain access to Castles, Siege Weapons and Monks to acquire map control and breach the opponent's walls. A Siege-Monk rush shortened Smush or a Castle-drop strategy can be usually seen after having reached the Castle Age. The fight for Relics is an important aspect of Arena-games, because their possession and gold income can be decisive in the Ultra-late game if the mineral ressources have run out.
Additionally, the center of the map is rather open but narrow due to the thick surrounding woodlines, which explains the name Arena. This makes the map rather one-dimensional and narrows down the possible angles of attack. With that, one or two well-placed castles can save your base entirely and also grant control over ressources in the center of map, which can benefit civilizations with good defensive possibilities. To generally raze those castles, Imperial Age siege units, i.e. Trebuchets, Bombard Cannons or Siege Rams are needed. In particular, the access to strong Late-game options such as Bombard Cannons specifically can be crucial at that stage of the game, since those cannot only destroy buildings, but also defeat other siege weapons.
With the above, one can deduce which Civilizations are generally good on Arena. A good Arena civilzation combines the following:
- A good economy to reach Castle Age as fast as possible and in addition to have a great economy-boom afterwards to afford expensive mid and late game army and technologies.
- Thriving Siege weapons, as they can deal with defensive structures and also with huge masses of army.
- A broad Monastery tech-tree allowing for good Monks. Especially, the access to the Redemption-technology which allows the conversion of siege weapons can be an important tool for victory.
- Exceptional defensive options.
- General Late-game abilities and fully upgraded units like Paladins.
- Good non-gold units (called Trash units) to close the game when your access to gold has run out.
|2021-01-02||T90Official Showmatch - Darknoob vs JonSlow||1v1||JonSlow||Darknoob||(G7)|
|2021-01-02||T90Official Showmatch - Darknoob vs JonSlow||1v1||JonSlow||Darknoob||(G6)|
|2021-01-02||T90Official Showmatch - Darknoob vs JonSlow||1v1||JonSlow||Darknoob||(G5)|
|2021-01-02||T90Official Showmatch - Darknoob vs JonSlow||1v1||JonSlow||Darknoob||(G4)|
|2021-01-02||T90Official Showmatch - Darknoob vs JonSlow||1v1||JonSlow||Darknoob||(G3)|
|2021-01-02||T90Official Showmatch - Darknoob vs JonSlow||1v1||JonSlow||Darknoob||(G2)|
|2021-01-02||T90Official Showmatch - Darknoob vs JonSlow||1v1||JonSlow||Darknoob||(G1)|
|2020-12-22||12:00 UTC||GamerLegion vs Clowns||1v1||Scogo || TheViper||(G9)|
|2020-12-22||12:00 UTC||GamerLegion vs Clowns||1v1||Modri || TheViper||(G8)|
|2020-12-22||12:00 UTC||GamerLegion vs Clowns||1v1||Scogo || TheViper||(G7)|
- Arena-only players (like JonSlow, DracKeN or Modri) are often called "clowns" or "Arena clowns" since 8th wonder's legendary forum post on AoEZone.
- This also is an explanation for the Clown Legion team name.
- There are dedicated tournaments that are only played on Arena, like the Clown Cup series, the DemEyesRed Arena Cup or the Masters of Arena series.
- 2020-08-30 | AoE2: DE | Arena Tier List - Revisited (August 2020) by OrnLu
- 2020-07-22 | My Pro 1v1 Arena Tier List by Hera
- 2020-06-23 | AoE2: DE | Clown Town (i.e. Arena) Civilization Tier List by OrnLu
- 2020-06-20 | AOE2:DE Arena Tier list by JonSlow
- 2020-05-06 | Arena for beginners by JonSlow (Playlist)
- 2019-06-24 | 1v1 Arena Tier List (TIER 3) with JonSlow, Dracont, Vinchester & Feanor by DemEyesRed
- 2019-03-09 | 1v1 Arena Tier List (TIER 2) with Melkor, Vinchester, Feanor, MrGPN, Stefan & Dracont by DemEyesRed
- 2019-03-01 | 1v1 Arena Tier List (TIER 1) with JonSlow, Melkor & MrGPN by DemEyesRed
- 8th wonder,"i love how always when the master of arena is accounced all these so-called arena pros are so excited and dream about winning and then comes good old RM players who play arena once in a while and kick their clown asses. bunch of clowns on clown map. its like ln or bf, they are good/high rate cause its clown map and no one good actually play that map regularly but when they do, they kick those clowns back to HD. :lol:", AoEZone forums, January 12, 2018. Retrieved 2020-07-07.