From Liquipedia Age of Empires Wiki
Up to 8
The Age of Kings
1999-09-30 — Present
Black Forest (abbr. BF) is an Age of Empires II multiplayer map which usually is played with explored setting. It also is a map in Age of Empires Online. It is a common map for beginners, since it is often not as aggressive in the early game, but is also a popular team game map for higher-level players.
- Densely forested, with only a few paths to get from one players base to another's
- Small lakes near players bases
- Resources sometimes trapped in an "island of grass", meaning players must cut through the trees to get to them
- Extra boar and wolves scattered around the map
Black Forest is a closed map, which means players are able to build walls early to protect themselves until they reach the late game, even in 1v1. Players will sometimes fight in the early game to get a forward wall, which will give them the position advantage later. This leads to early action that this map is sometimes not known for, and even fights with Villagers and Militia.
Small lakes will often spawn around the map, leading players to build Fish Traps to secure themselves safe food economy. Newer versions of the map, such as the one used in Rage Forest 3 guarantee fairer distribution of lakes across the two teams.
Black Forest games usually reach the Imperial Age, so having a strong economy to get fully-upgraded units is important. Single choke points will often be the point of contention for an extended period of time, so since games will sometimes go quite long, having a good trade route in team games is important.
Some civilizations that are strong on Black Forest, categorized by their biggest strengths:
- Civilizations that can pressure early to get forward walls, or break through enemies walls in the Feudal Age: Lithuanians, Goths
- Civilizations with a strong economy and late-game composition: Burgundians, Britons
- Civilizations with strong siege: Bohemians, Celts, Mongols.
This automatically generated table shows up to 10 most recent S-Tier and A-Tier tournaments.
|Start date||End date||Tournament|
|2023-02-20||2023-06-03||Nations Cup 2023|
|2023-03-27||2023-04-23||Rage Forest 4|
|2022-04-07||2022-05-01||Rage Forest 3|
|2022-01-31||2022-03-20||Return of the Clans|
|2017-07-10||2017-11-04||SY Nations Cup 3|
|2017-01-30||2017-05-20||Every Game Counts #1: Strike the Balance|
|2016-10-23||2016-11-14||Clan Masters: 1v1 Mini Cup|
This automatically generated table shows the 10 most recent games and can be modified here.
- The Black Forest Tournament by The Legion Clan (2002), Into the Darkness (2016), and the Rage Forest series (2021-2023) are the biggest Age of Empires II tournaments that were played on Black Forest exclusively.