File Standards Guide
From Liquipedia Commons Wiki
Liquipedia has a few set standards of file sizes and types for different uses.
- 1 Legacy Pre-2021 Standards
- 2 Overview of 2021 Changes
- 3 Team Logos
- 3.1 Image/Canvas Size
- 3.2 Light/Dark Background Suitability
- 3.3 Primary vs Textless Variants
- 3.4 File Type & Naming Scheme
Legacy Pre-2021 Standards
(The format for explaining width and height will be WxH where W is the width in pixels and H is the height in pixels.)
- Small League Icons
- These images should be 100x100px, (the old standard was 25x25px and then 50x50px but was updated for retina displays).
Overview of 2021 Changes
- Team logo “std” files are being phased out entirely and should no longer be created.
- A single unified file is going to act as the logo for team templates and team cards going forward.
- Logos for both the darkmode will be uploaded along with logos for our current light theme.
- File naming standard is being clearly specified and enforced.
- The canvas size must be at least 336 pixels wide and should be at least 672 pixels wide.
- It is recommended to make the shorter side of the canvas at least 1000px — A lot of TOs and Teams source logos from us.
- Keeping the shorter side to a round number such as 1000px (as opposed to 996px) is also recommended.
- The logo must must fill the entire canvas with no empty space ("whitespace") on any sides.
- The only exception to the above rule is for the purpose of centering a logo on the canvas (Sharks Esports example below).
- The canvas must be fully transparent outside of logo itself (i.e. no background colors or graphics).
Light/Dark Background Suitability
- Logo color scheme/variant must be suitable for the applicable background color (light dark/dark mode/both).
- If the primary color/variant is suitable for both light & dark modes then it is recommended to use that variant for both.
- If not, you must use the applicable colors/variants of the logo for the respective theme.
- If no variant exists for one of the themes, you should attempt to invert the logo's incompatible elements (e.g. invert white to black for dark mode version).
- Please ignore canvas sizes/padding for examples below, they are only to illustrate color/variant correctness.
Primary vs Textless Variants
- Logos uploaded for use in the team templates extension must not include any optional logotypes (text) and should only be the logomark (icon) of the team.
- The only exception to the above rule is if the logo of a team is solely a logotype (text logo) or if the logotype is not optional and integrated into the logomark itself.
- The full primary logos (usually logomark + logotype, but not always) of teams should also be uploaded separately if they are different from the logo described above.
- The primary logo should only be used on team pages in the infobox and the textless (if applicable) logo must be used everywhere else.
- Please ignore canvas sizes/padding for examples below, they are only to illustrate the two different logo types.
File Type & Naming Scheme
- Files must be uploaded as MIME type
image/pngand with file type and filename extension .png
- There are currently no exceptions to the above rule, but this may change in the future.
- The filename must conform to the following style:
Full Team Name_
- There must be a space character or underscore (they will be coverted all the same) between each term in the file name.
- The terms are explained below:
Full Team Name– The full and correctly capitalized name of the team.
Historical Suffix– Suffix denoting historicality of the logo; must match historical suffix of team template (optional for non-historical/initial logos).
Theme Identifier– Label specifying whether logo is for both themes (allmode), the light theme (lightmode), or the dark theme (darkmode).
Logo Type– Label specifying whether logo is a textless/icon logo (to be left blank) or a full primary logo (to be labelled full).
- Team Liquid allmode.png
- Team Liquid 2020 allmode.png
- Team Liquid 2020 darkmode.png
- Ninjas in Pyjamas darkmode.png
- Ninjas in Pyjamas allmode full.png
- Liquid lightmode teamcardimage.png – Not full team name; incorrect logo type label; should be Team Liquid lightmode.png
- MIBR new infobox.jpg – Historical suffix is poorly named; incorrect logo type label; wrong file format; should be MIBR 2018 full.png
- MIBR dark std.png – Theme identifier is wrong; using retired "std" logo format; missing theme identifier; should be MIBR darkmode.png
- MiBRlogo darkmode.gif – Team name wrong capitalization; erroneous "logo" stuck to team name; wrong file format; should be MIBR darkmode.png