Gold can used to purchase items and buyback after death. It is received when last hitting creeps, hero kills/assists, destroying buildings, and more. It is also passively gained periodically throughout the game.
When spending gold the game will spend Unreliable Gold first before spending Reliable Gold, except in the case of buybacks where reliable gold will be deducted first.
Heroes are given 600 gold to start with.
Unreliable gold is lost on death. The formula for gold lost is the following:
- Unreliable Gold Lost = Net Worth
Reliable gold cannot be lost on death. You can gain reliable gold from the following:
- Courier kills
- Hero kills and assists
- Global gold from an ally killing Roshan
- Last hitting towers
- Global gold from an ally killing a tower, barracks or shrine
- Global gold from the enemy team denying a tower or barracks
Only unreliable gold is lost on death. You gain unreliable gold from the following:
- Starting gold
- Passive gold gain
- Every 0.67 seconds the hero earns 1 unreliable gold
- (90 gold per minute or 1.5 gold per second)
- Lane creep denies
- Some Talents grant extra passive gold gain
- This gold is gained in increments of 1
- (e.g., for 150 gpm a hero earns 1 gold every 0.4 seconds)
- Last hitting buildings, summons, illusions, and creeps (including Neutrals and Roshan)
- Bounty Rune
- Greevil's Greed
A bonus of 150 gold is awarded for making the first kill in a game. This is known as First Blood.
When you kill an enemy hero, you earn reliable gold. The amount is calculated by the following formula:
- 110 + (Killed Hero's Level × 8) + Streak Bonus = Kill Bounty
The streak bonus gold is based on the number of kills the enemy hero had before being killed:
|Streak Gold||Consecutive Kills||Streak|
|0||2 or fewer kills||None|
|60||3 kills||Killing Spree|
|180||5 kills||Mega Kill|
|300||7 kills||Wicked Sick|
|360||8 kills||Monster Kill!!!|
|480||10 or more kills||Beyond Godlike!|
The following deaths do not stop kill streaks or count as first blood:
- Deaths to neutral creeps or Roshan
- Deaths to enemy towers with no assisting heroes
The following kill streak modifiers do not grant any bonus:
- 5 or more kills by allies in a row without any allies dying (Ownage)
- Getting 5 kills with less than 18 seconds between each kill (Rampage!!!)
Heroes that have recently applied damage or a debuff on an enemy hero that dies earn assist gold (also known as AoE gold) even if they are no longer alive or in that area. The hero that made the kill also earns assist gold, even if they killed the enemy hero alone with no assistance. If lane creeps or towers make the kill, the kill gold is spread evenly among the assisting heroes.
The amount of assist gold earned depends on the number of assisting heroes and the level of the killed hero:
Number of Killers:
- 1 Killer: 126 + (4.5 × VictimLevel) × (NetWorthFactors) = Assist Gold
- 2 Killer: 63 + (3.6 × VictimLevel) × (NetWorthFactors) = Assist Gold
- 3 Killer: 31.5 + (2.7 × VictimLevel) × (NetWorthFactors) = Assist Gold
- 4 Killer: 22.5 + (1.8 × VictimLevel) × (NetWorthFactors) = Assist Gold
- 5 Killer: 18 + (0.9 × VictimLevel) × (NetWorthFactors) = Assist Gold
If the team that made the kill has lower total net worth than the other team, they gain a comeback bonus based on the killed hero's net worth:
- Comeback Bonus = VictimNetWorth × 0.026 + 70
|Explanation of Terms|
NetWorthPoorFactor is the dying hero's net worth rank within their team. Richer victims give more gold to the killer.
Example: If the assist gold would normally have been 600, and the enemy hero is the poorest on their team, then the assist gold for killing that hero is reduced to 360 (600 × 0.6)
NetWorthRankingFactor is the hero's rank among their team. Poorer killers get a bigger share of the gold when the amount is split between multiple heroes.
Example: If 5 heroes kill an enemy hero, and the assist gold would normally be 200 gold for each player, it is instead higher for the 2 poorest heroes, normal for the middle, and lesser for the 2 richest
NetWorthFactors = NetWorthPoorFactor × NetWorthRankingFactor
VictimLevel = Level of the Victim
VictimNetWorth = The Dying Hero's Net Worth
A dead hero can respawn instantly by choosing to buyback. Buyback cost is calculated by the following formula:
- Buyback Cost = 100 + NetWorth
- This will spend from your reliable gold pool first
- Has a cooldown of 8 minutes
- 25 seconds of respawn time will be added to the next death
The duration a hero is dead scales with their level. Respawn time does not increase past level 25.
There are other effects that can affect respawn time. They are listed below in order of calculation priority.
1. After using Buyback:
- Respawn Time + 25 = Total Respawn Time
2. After being killed by Reaper's Scythe:
- Respawn Time + Reaper's Scythe Time Increase = Total Respawn Time
3. After being killed by Neutrals:
- Minimum Respawn Time is set to 26 seconds (This only affects respawn time from levels 1-5)