KuroKy grew up in Berlin, Germany. KuroKy suffered from disabilities to his legs, and would struggle to use his legs. He stated that this weakness was what led to him to play video games.
KuroKy played for a few German DotA teams before joining his first international team, mousesports, where he played with players such as Drayich. This mousesports lineup attended DreamHack Winter 2008 with Puppey acting as stand-in; this was to be the beginning of a long relationship between KuroKy and Puppey. KuroKy then joined Ks.int, which at one point had a total number of 9 players and looked more like a mix than an actual team. Some well known players in the DotA scene were on the team, such as Puppey, Vigoss and LevenT.
2011 - 2012: Early Days
KuroKy's first public appearance in Dota 2 was The International 2011 along with the game's debut at Gamescom. He participated in the tournament under GosuGamers.net with teammates Kebap, Azen, and Mirakel. Unfortunately for them, they dropped all three group stage games and were eliminated by MiTH.Trust in the first round of the losers' bracket.
After the unsuccessful run at The International, KuroKy went on to play in several other teams with him as the star player; the teams included PANZER and 10,000th, which were also jokingly called KKy + 4. In May 2012, he joined Virtus.pro in the hopes to qualify for a spot to play at The International 2012. They won their first round match of the West Qualifiers against mTw but were eventually eliminated by mousesports and zNation. However, he got his chance to play at The International 2012 when ComeWithMe ran into visa issues and mousesports invited KuroKy to the event in his place. A stroke of luck for KuroKy and the other mouz players happened when MUFC ran into visa issues and could not make it to Seattle, leaving an extra spot for the backup teams. mouz played a best of five series against World Elite to determine who would replace MUFC in the main tournament and they took the wildcard match handedly with a 3-0 score. The main tournament itself was not a success for KuroKy as he was knocked out in the first round of the playoffs and could not improve upon his results from The International 2011.
2013 - 2014: Natus Vincere
After a short and well received stay at Mousesports, KuroKy joined Natus Vincere on February 28, 2013 as their support player alongside former Ks.Int team-mate Puppey. His first year on Na'Vi was very successful with many first place finishes and a second place finish at The International 2013. However, the second half of his Na'Vi career was largely disappointing and culminated in a 7-8th place finish at The International 2014. He left Na`Vi on August 18, 2014.
2014 - 2015: Team Secret
Following his departure, it was revealed on August 27th, 2014 that he was on the roster for Secret Team, a team he formed with Puppey. Joining this duo were friends and former teammates on Fnatic Fly and N0tail as well as s4 from Alliance. KuroKy initially played the carry position for the newly formed Team Secret but success eluded the team as their best result was a second place finish at Star Ladder. A roster shuffle took place, swapping Fly and N0tail for Arteezy and zai from Evil Geniuses resulted in KuroKy returning to the support position alongside Puppey once again. This new Team Secret roster was more successful than the previous and, having won 4 consecutive LAN finals, they approached The International 2015 as heavy favorites. However, Team Secret exited the tournament surprisingly early to a disappointing 7-8th place finish amidst severe internal issues.
2015 and onwards: Team Liquid
Following TI 5 KuroKy left Team Secret to form a new team, 5Jungz, with himself as captain, where he handpicked his teammates: fellow German FATA- would play mid, the Finnish duo MATUMBAMAN and JerAx would be carry and roaming support, respectively, and Bulgarian offlaner MinD_ContRoL rounded out the roster. After a string of promising results the team was signed by Team Liquid. Team Liquid was able to win The Defense Season 5 and also finished as runners up at The Shanghai Major 2016 with KuroKy playing the joint highest number of different heroes at the tournament. After finishing in the top four in his last three consecutive LAN events with the most being recent, 2nd at ESL ONE Manila 2016, KuroKy led this team to a breathtaking five game series to 3-2 victory over the dominant Chinese team Newbee that had a 29-0 winning streak during the picturesque tournament EPICENTER at the Crocus City Hall, Moscow. The pulsating series at the Russian capital over the course of a week saw KuroKy and his fellow team mates secure their maiden LAN win of the 2016 calendar year. At the Manila Major, Team Liquid was once again able to reach the grand finals, but finished as runners up once again, this time falling to OG. KuroKy was tied with 343 for the highest number of different heroes played at the event. Unsurprisingly, Team Liquid was invited to attend The International 2016, however another disappointingly early exit would be in store for KuroKy.
In the wake of TI6, FATA- and JerAx would leave the team and their replacements were BuLba, from Evil Geniuses, and Miracle-, from rivals OG. The new competitive season saw Team Liquid with very disappointing results, failing to qualify for the Boston Major. In the following weeks, BuLba would be replaced by GH, who officially joined in January 2017. This replacement proved miraculous, as the team's results improved drastically. Two LAN wins and several online successes meant that Team Liquid would be invited to the second Major of the season, the Kiev Major. After a 5-8th place finish at the Major, Liquid went on to dominate international LANs for the next months in the run up to The International 2017, winning three consecutive LANs, among others the EPICENTER LAN, where they defended their title. This stellar performance was crowned by their victory at The International, in August 2017. After attending every single TI, KuroKy had finally done it and hoisted the Aegis after a 3-0 sweep against Newbee in the Grand Finals.
- Originally intended his nickname to be pronounced kuːroʊkaɪ, but is fine with people pronouncing it differently.
- KuroKy has actively competed in every International - a record only matched by Puppey.[needs update]
- KuroKy is the first player to reach 1,000 wins in his pro career.
- As of 23rd March 2018, he has the most unique heroes played in pro games (107).
|2019-08-25||2nd||Tier 1||The International 2019||1 : 3||$4,462,908|
|2018-08-24||4th||Tier 1||The International 2018||0 : 2||$1,787,252|
|2018-06-10||1st||Tier 1||China Dota2 Supermajor||3 : 2||$555,000|
|2017-08-12||1st||Tier 1||The International 2017||3 : 0||$10,862,683|
|2017-06-11||1st||Tier 1||EPICENTER 2017||3 : 1||$250,000|
|2017-02-26||1st||Tier 1||StarLadder i-League StarSeries Season 3||3 : 1||$135,000|
|2016-06-12||2nd||Tier 1||The Manila Major 2016||1 : 3||$405,000|
|2016-05-15||1st||Tier 1||EPICENTER 2016||3 : 2||$250,000|
|2016-03-06||2nd||Tier 1||The Shanghai Major 2016||1 : 3||$405,000|
|2013-08-11||2nd||Tier 1||The International 2013||2 : 3||$632,364|
|Complete list of results in any tournament|
- GosuAwards 2008: Best carrier
- GosuAwards 2010: People's choice
- GosuAwards 2012: Community's choice: Best supporter
- JoinDOTA Awards 2013: Best support duo (with Puppey)
- JoinDOTA Awards 2014: Best carrier
- 2016-06-08 | The Manila Major Player Profile - Kuroky (Team Liquid) by PGL at The Manila Major 2016
- 2018-08-21 | Interview with KuroKy At TI8 Media Day by yamato77 of liquiddota.com at The International 2018
- 2018-03-08 | Interview with KuroKy (Team Liquid) at PGL MAJOR by Timotei Popescu of DPLAY ESPORTS at The Bucharest Major 2018
- 2018-02-25 | KuroKy roster change confirmed? Team Liquid at ESL One Katowice 2018 by Melek "m3lly" Balgun of DW eSports at ESL One Katowice 2018
- 2017-06-06 | EPICENTER Interview: Kuroky (Liquid) by Oleg Kulikov of Epicenter gg at EPICENTER 2017 (trans. by Epicenter gg)
- 2016-08-10 | TI6 At the Event - Kaci Interviews KuroKy by Kaci Aitchison of Valve at The International 2016
- 2016-05-24 | The Epicenter Epilogue: An Interview with the Players by lichter of TeamLiquidPro.com at EPICENTER: Moscow
- 2016-05-10 | Интервью перед турниром, Liquid.Kuroky by Oleg Kulikov of Epicenter gg at EPICENTER: Moscow (trans. by Epicenter gg)
- 2016-02-26 | "Es ist schwierig, ein Team zusammenzuhalten" by Eike Kühl of Die Zeit
- 2015-10-29 | Интервью с KuroKy @ Nanyang Dota 2 Championships by dota2ruhub at Nanyang Dota 2 Championships Season 1 (trans. )
- 2015-10-15 | eSports: Deutscher Dota 2-Profi Kuro "KuroKy" Salehi Takhasomi im SPORT1-Interview by Konni Winkler of Sport1.de
- 2015-08-04 | TI5 Team Secret Team Interview by Kaci Aitchison of Valve at The International 2015
- 2015-05-12 | Kuroky Interview by Hotbid (The Summit 3 by Gigabyte) by Hot_Bid of Beyond the Summit at The Summit 3
- 2013-11-29 | KuroKy: "Guess how many hours we've practiced since TI3" by Hot_Bid of TL.net at DreamLeague Playoffs
- 2013-03-09 | Kuroky i-view: Na'Vi fighting with heart! by Natus Vincere
- 2012-11-22 | DreamHack Winter 2012 - Day 2: Interview with KuroKy & Black by Epi of joinDOTA at DreamHack Winter 2012
- 2012-10-19 | StarLadder Finals 2012 - Day 2: Interview with KuroKy- by TobiWan of joinDOTA at Star Ladder Star Series Season 3
- 2012-10-19 | Interview with KuroKy @ StarLadder Season 3 by Navi-gaming at Star Ladder Star Series Season 3
- 2012-08-31 | The International 2012: KuroKy interview by Danny Hyon of ESFIworld.com at The International 2012
- 2012-08-17 | Interview with Kuroky- at WCG 2012 gamescom by Epi of epicommentary.com at WCG 2012 German Qualifier
- 2011-09-11 | Interviews with KuroKy, syndereN and Lacoste by DotA LighT at World DotA Championship 2011
- 2010-06-16 | ESWC 2010 Interview 2 by psychoXGS at ESWC 2010
- 2010-02-08 | Nirvana.int's first interview by Forget-Gaming.se
- Zeit Online - Computerspiele: Turnier auf der Tastatur"
- Kai "'Treble1999'" Chua (2012-05-04). "Virtus Pro sign KuroKy". GosuGamers. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- "New temporary lineup for Dota 2"
- "KuroKy joins Na'Vi"
- "Kuroky released from Na`Vi"
- "Liquid Reincarnation". teamliquid.com. 2015-10-09.
- "The International Grand Champions". Valve Corporation. 2017-08-14.
- KuroKy. "hi, I'm KuroKy from Team ZERO. AMA". Reddit.
- Nahaz. "Congratulations @LiquidKuroKy on being the first pro #Dota2 player with 1,000 career wins.". Twitter.
- Spiocder. "@LiquidKuroKy , surpassing @FearDotA with now 107 unique heroes". Twitter.