The Defense Season 4
May 21 - Jul 24, 2013
The Defense Season 4 is joinDOTA's fourth league-style tournament. Group stage play began May 29th, 2013, and ran for two months.
A total of $25,000 is split among the teams as seen below:
- Qualifying Tournament
- 16 teams invited.
- Double-elimination bracket.
- Best of 1 series until round 3 upper bracket and lower bracket final.
- Best of 3 for round 3 upper bracket and lower bracket final
- Top 2 upper bracket teams qualify.
- Top 1 lower bracket team qualify.
- Group Stage
- 17 invited teams and 3 qualified teams are seeded into Group Play.
- The 20 teams get divided into four groups of five.
- Every team plays two games against each of the four opponents in its group.
- The top three teams of each group advances to the playoffs.
- All matches are played in a best of two series.
- Tiebreaks are determined through Bo1 matches between the tied teams.
- If tiebreaker matches leads to another tie the administration might announce an alternative tiebreaking format.
- The 12 teams are divided into upper- and lower bracket.
- The winners from each group are seeded into the upper bracket.
- The 2nd and 3rd teams from each group are seeded into the lower bracket.
- All matches except the finals are played in a best of three series.
- The Grand Final is played in a best of five series.
1 QPAD dropped out after losing two members of their team.  A 4 team qualifier was played and zRAGE ended up replacing them.
2 Was invited as dd.Dota but was picked up by Quantic before their first game.
Full team rosters are available here.