Town Portal Scroll
Town Portal Scroll (also known as Teleport Scroll, TP Scroll, or simply TP) is a basic fast travel consumable from the Home Shop and Side Shop. It is fully shareable and stacks with itself. There is a dedicated inventory slot to hold Town Portal Scrolls.
All heroes have a Town Portal Scroll at the start of the game. This initial TP Scroll is on a 100 second cooldown and cannot be sold.
- The extended channel time penalty radius is centered around the recent teleport's location. It can be avoided by teleporting 1100 units away from the other teleport location.
- Only Town Portal Scroll teleports increase/receive the penalty. All other teleports do not count and are not affected.
- Teleporting to the fountain always uses base channel time and never has any extended time penalty.
- If further than 1500 range away from the fountain, double clicking will teleport the user directly to it.
- Gives 200 flying vision of the target area that lingers for 1 second.
- Using Boots of Travel adds 10 seconds to the next Teleport cooldown.
- When teleporting, an obvious visual effect is visible to all players. The visual effect also includes the hero model.
Every hero should try to always carry a Town Portal Scroll, with a few exceptions such as Nature's Prophet in the early game who has a Teleportation spell. In the late stages of a game the Town Portal Scroll may be replaced by Boots of Travel. While many new players rely on Town Portal Scrolls to exclusively go between their lane and spawn, teleporting to gank enemies and defend towers is incredibly important at all levels of play.
The Town Portal Scroll is also used to escape death and unwanted situations, such as ganks, by teleporting to a safe location. Teleporting will disjoint most but not all projectiles targeted at the user. This usage is important to gameplay as players will rely on the Scroll to facilitate split pushing, ganks, and other strategic movement around the map. Additionally this makes some heroes, such as Bloodseeker and Venomancer, easier to escape from as these heroes do not have any spell that can break the channeling of the teleport.
Along with Smoke of Deceit the Town Portal Scroll should be a priority when playing support. In most cases it precedes importance over Brown Boots. Generally considered your first item as a support you buy at the side shop. Versus very passive opponents where you don't have to TP to defend dives, the money can be banked for boots or Smokes for roaming.
Recommended for most heroes throughout the game.