- The Tesla Cannon will deal unavoidable damage to a nearby enemy. This lets Winston deal with Tracer and Genji much easier than other heroes that require aim.
- Jump Pack allows Winston to engage enemies in the back very easily, but can also be used defensively to escape or jump to a nearby healthpack.
- Winston is one of the two characters that cannot be headshoted from the back, allowing escapes a little bit safer
- Tesla Cannon, while doing very low damage compared to other guns cannot be avoided as long as the target is visible and nearby. This makes the Tesla Cannon very good against high mobility heroes such as Genji and Tracer.
- Jump Pack allows Winston to have great mobility, which can have multiple uses in the game. While using Jump Pack aggressively is a given, using it defensively to escape from bad fights or jump to healthpacks increases Winston's durability as a Tank.
- Butt Jump is something all Winston players should get used to. While having the advantage of not getting headshoted from the back, Winston's large head hitbox makes him much more vulnerable in the front than most other heroes despite his large healthpool. While jumping, quickly turning away during the jump so your opponents can't headshot you as you land will increase the chances you live. Turning while jumping will not affect where you land so you can spin all you want if it pleases you.
- While being an amazing defensive and offensive tool, the Shield Projector has a relatively long cooldown, 6 second duration and absorbs upto 600 damage. While on paper it sounds amazing, most enemies will either deal so much damage to break it really quickly or just enter the shield themselves and try to pickoff their enemies. Use the shield not the same way you would use a Reinhardt shield, but a way to buy space for your team or yourself.
- Using Primal Rage will fully heal Winston and raise his health cap up to 1000 (900 Health, 100 Armor).
- Unlike most other transformation ults, Primal Rage is not an ultimate ability to pump out damage but rather an ultimate to create a huge distraction and chaos among your enemies. While your damage as a Primal Raged Winston deals 20 damage per hit less than the Tesla Cannon, the tradeoff you earn is a huge knockback and having your Jump Pack cooldown lowered to 2 seconds.
- The Primal Rage knockback can be used to corner enemies as you can push them into a corner for 10 seconds. While the knockback itself will not stun, it can buy you enough time for you allies to cleanup or take the objective.
- Despite running with 1000 Health, you must remember Winston is still vulnerable and can die during his Primal Rage. Do not be afraid to pullback if you feel like you are going to die through Primal Rage.
A super-intelligent, genetically engineered gorilla, Winston is a brilliant scientist and a champion for humanity's potential.
The Horizon Lunar Colony was established as a first step for humanity's renewed exploration of space. Among its residents was a group of genetically enhanced gorillas that were intended to test the effects of prolonged habitation in space.
One gorilla displayed such rapid brain development from the gene therapy that he was taken under the wing of Dr. Harold Winston, who taught him science and inspired him with tales of human ingenuity. The young gorilla passed his days assisting with the scientists' experiments, watching the distant blue world outside his habitat window, dreaming of the endless possibilities that awaited him there.
But his life was thrown into chaos when the other gorillas led an uprising, killed the mission scientists, and claimed the colony for their own. Taking on the name of his beloved human caretaker, Winston built a makeshift rocket and escaped to Earth. There he found a new home with Overwatch, an organization that represented everything he had come to admire about humanity. Winston was finally able to live up to the heroic ideal that had been instilled in him.
Now with the fall of Overwatch, Winston has gone into seclusion, once again cut off from the world he believes in, but longing for the days of heroism to return.
- It is possible to see Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness running on Winston's computer on the first animated short, Recall.
- Voiced by Crispin Freeman
|Balance Patch History|
|Patch Version||Balance Changes|
|March 17, 2016 Patch[note 1]|
|March 1, 2016 Patch[note 2]|