Operation Velvet Shell
- New operation
- Balance changes
- Bug fixes
- Misc changes
In Operation Velvet Shell, two G.E.O. Operators join Team Rainbow to regain control of the "Coastline". Following a year of post-launch content, this major update aims to improve player comfort with an upgraded navigation interface, customisation selections and lots more.
2 New Operators
Born in Ceuta, Spain, Ryad Ramírez Al-Hassar’s broad resourcefulness on difficult terrains made him an expert tracker. His extensive training outside the Cuerpo Nacional de Policía include several survival courses, tactical desert navigation programs, and specialized combat diving practice. Ramírez is known to be the best asset of the G.E.O. to track down HVTs and intercept narcotics shipments. He is ruthless on the field and determined to unravel the events that led to the loss of his older brother, Faisal.
Inspired by the FBI’s Quick Capture Platform, the Eyenox Model III was created to offer a mobile tracking device able to both identify and trail a person’s footprints in real-time. This forensic tool was first used to track terrorist cells back to hidden cave complex in the mountains of Afghanistan. Equipped with advanced computer vision, the Eyenox detects invisible details relating to footfall and weight distribution so that you can identify and stalk your target.
Elena María Álvarez was born in Retiro, Madrid, where she learned to spot and fix mechanical defects on automobile engines. Demonstrating solid physical endurance and a stubborn need to prove her worth, Álvarez later joined the Grupo Especial de Operaciones (G.E.O.). Her wide-ranging knowledge of vehicles made her an expert in the ballistic field, which she uses to develop and test bulletproof materials.
Álvarez came up with the idea for Black Mirror during Operation Blue Orion, when she was forced to improvise a panic room at the Embassy of Spain in Tel Aviv. She used this experience to design a specialized laminated glass, which when deployed with oxyacetylene can carve out a one-way mirror on any wall. If the air pressure is disrupted, however, the glass is ejected and creates a daring opening for both defenders and attackers.
Team Rainbow has been called to safeguard the seashore of Ibiza, Spain. Two of G.E.O.'s most resourceful Operators have been selected to provide their unique tactical expertise to the unit. Stationed on Ibiza’s rocky shore, course through Balearic ruins and navigate booming bars to neutralize the threat. Get ready for a surround flow of combat laced with chaotic rushes as you explore a paradise gone wrong.
The new Coastline map is available for free for all players.
Velvet Shell Weapon Skins
Celebrate Year Two Season One of Rainbow Six Siege with four new Velvet Shell Signature weapon skins. Chupinazo, El Dorado, León Furioso and Crossfader are sleek, vibrant designs inspired by the colors of the Spanish shores.
Mobilize for Year Two of Rainbow Six Siege with the next instalment of Elite sets. Rook's Gendarmerie set embodies a sense of security with their sturdy Kevlar tunic and iconic ballistic helmet.
Each set includes a matching Uniform and Headgear, Operator Card, Operator Title, Charm, and a Signature Victory Animation. Explore unique facets of history with these special packages tailored exclusively for this Operator.
Year Two Pass
Rainbow Six Siege is stronger than ever entering Year 2. Get more out Siege with early access to 8 new Operators, VIP benefits, and exclusive DLC with the Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege Year 2 Pass.
To start Year two on a high note, we are glad to announce a dynamic new navigation interface for Rainbow Six Siege. This mandate originated from ample reflection on ways to improve player comfort after a year of live content. Xavier Marquis, R6 Creative Director, explained the importance of this change: “Focusing our effort on improving the User Interface reaffirms our pledge to the community: we are working hard on ensuring the game’s longevity. Since we are here to stay, we’re making sure that you are getting comfortable.”
The new design will make all player activities such as challenges, news, and boosters all available in one place. It will also offer a quick access to your last gamemode selection. “It’s our first milestone in terms of UI,” Marquis said, “so it’s very exciting for us.” Another element that was modified is the place the Operators now occupy. Marquis explained this thematic change: “Looking back at what we’ve built up until Year Two, we wanted to celebrate our heroes. This was our chance to give them centre stage.”
Here are some specific upgrades we made to the navigation interface:
Personalized Play Button
In the newly designed menu system, you will notice that the primary button on your home screen menu is a little different. It will remember your last played option and will appear there. So for example, if you last played a Ranked match, clicking the play button will send you queueing into a Ranked match. If you want to change up to Terrorist Hunt or Casual, you can click the arrow to the right of the button or select the “Play” tab in order to get the other options.
We hope this change will make it even easier to get into the game of your preferred game mode.
Dynamic Challenge Display
In the new menu display, you will find a new way to track and manage your challenges. Your progression for each challenge will now be updated in this button. You will see several progression bars that will fill up when completing an action that counts towards that challenge. Clicking this button will pop out a panel that will display all of your current challenges.
Updated News Display
The news carousel has also been updated with a new look and more info. At the bottom of the menu you will see a familiar rotating carousel as before, but we now have the ability to share more info directly in your home screen when you click on that news item. Once selecting the item, it will open a panel on the right that will have detailed info.
New Rank Display
For the start of Year 2, we are changing a few things in the way that we display ranks. Firstly, the ranks in each tier will now go from four to one as you get closer to the next tier instead of one to four. For example, the lowest rank in the Gold tier will be Gold 4 and the highest will be Gold 1. The reason for the change is because we feel as though this is a more logical progression with regards to rankings, which normally are displayed in descending order.
A more obvious change is we are introducing a new look to the rank icons. In the past, we have noticed difficulty in trying to determine which rank is which at a glance. This new design we hope will make it more clear who is a Silver 1 vs a Plat 1.
HARMONISATION OF SIGHTS POSITIONING IN FIRST PERSON CAMERA
Since the game released, sights’ positions in first person camera (which defines the space they take on screen) were inherited from their third person camera position, i.e. the real position that the sights had on the weapon rails.
While this might seem logical as it is the most realistic approach, it also had a negative impact: depending on the weapon, using the same sight could lead to vastly different experiences. For instance, here was the red dot on CAMRS versus the red dot on PARA-308: Image
Our intention is that each sight should be comfortable, different but equally viable, and that when you select a sight you have a precise idea of what it will look like whatever the weapon is.
Because of that, we’ve harmonised all the sights positions in first person camera. Here are the new positions that we chose: Image
We’re looking forward to your feedback on these new positions: if you think some of them should change for various reasons, don’t hesitate to let us know – as usual, on our forums and Reddit.
capitao gets a claymore, and iq gets frag grenades
We’ve changed Capitao and IQ’s standard gadget loadout:
Capitao’s 2 Frag Grenades are replaced by 1 Claymore (he still has his 3 Stun Grenades) IQ’s 3 Stun Grenades are replaced by 2 Frag Grenades (she still has her 3 Breach Charges)
- Fixed - Operator's head is missing in drone view during Situation 7 and Situation 10.
- Fixed - Tachanka's view can be misrepresented, preventing his shots from registering.
- Fixed - 556xi and AUG A2 are sometimes unable to destroy a distant camera.
- Fixed - Weapons equipped with a Suppressor, Heavy Barrel, or Muzzle brake have no muzzle flash.
- Fixed - Jager's gadget can be deployed on an Operator's shield, and remain in that place after the shield moves.
- Fixed - Nitro Cell damage radius is much higher on hardwood walls.
- Fixed - The reload crate in Lower Library 1F (University) will spawn inside of a sofa.
- Fixed - Smoke grenades will sometimes bounce off of invisible collision when thrown by Terrorists.
- Fixed - Some Terrorists remain idle and do no attempt to engage with the players.
- Fixed - Terrorists are stuck while rappelling during the second wave of Attackers while playing Hostage Protection on University.
- Fixed - While contesting an area, the overtime countdown is not synced for all players.
- Fixed - Jaeger's Trophy System will sometimes be missing audio/visual effects.
- Fixed - EDD will be destroyed when placed on the right side of the door in the Passport Check room [Border] if Bandit places an electrified reinforced wall on the right wall.
- Fixed - Tachanka suffers from a broken weapon animation when his LMG is destroyed by Sledge's Breaching Hammer.
- Fixed - The ammunition count for the LMG is reset when it is redeployed.
- Fixed - Yokai drone can pass through the ceiling on Plane.
- Fixed - Yokai loses signal in the vent between 2F Model Hallway and 2F Vista Hallway on University.
- Fixed - If the Yokai drone is picked up while hovering, the Terrorists will attempt to fire on the drone's former position.
- Fixed - X-KAIROS pellets will destroy gadgets on the opposite side of the wall from where they land.
- Fixed - Breaching rounds can destroy gadgets on the other side of the wall from where they land.
- Fixed - A Black Eye camera is still usable for approximately 10 seconds after being picked up.
- Fixed - The outline and distance of other gadgets cannot be seen on IQ's gadget while she is prone.
- Fixed - Sledge's Breaching Hammer can be used to breach walls from behind Montagne's extended shield.
- Fixed - Green effects are not appearing for players being killed.
- Fixed - Ladders disappear when looking at them from a certain height.
- Fixed - Players are able to shoot through door frames attached to indestructible walls.
- Fixed - Defuser can be disabled by destroying the tiled floor in Piano Room.
- Fixed - Wooden beams in 2F Classroom do not stop bullets, or show bullet impacts.
- Fixed - Light sources are glowing too brightly.
- Fixed - It is possible to vault over a railing and hide under Green Room stairs.
- Fixed - The carpet in 2F Meeting Room is visible on the Spectator Camera from the floor below.
- Fixed - It is possible to clip through and hide under Main Stairs in the Restaurant.
- Fixed - Hostage clips through the adjacent bed.
- Fixed - Users are able to clip through a specific wall while using a deployable shield.
- Fixed - Bullet impacts are not registering on walls properly.
- Fixed - It is possible to vault through the slot machine wall in 3F Casino.
- Fixed - The compass does not move while operating Tachanka's LMG.
- Fixed - Using Alt + Enter during the Operator Select would allow players to change Operators during loading.
- Fixed - Corrupted melee animation while running on stairs.
- Fixed - Level of detail issue on various headgear.
- Fixed - Level of detail issue on Sledge, Capitao, and Caveira when moving away from these Operators.
- Fixed - Ubisoft Club challenges would appear as available, even though they were not.
- Fixed - Chinese writing overlaps at the start of rounds.
- Fixed - Players are sometimes not awarded XP and Bonus Renown.
- Fixed - After completing a Terrorist Hunt match, some players are stuck at an infinite loading screen.