2008 EVER OSL
(≃ $100,372 USD)
The 2008 EVER OSL was held from April through July 2008.
This OnGameNet Starleague (OSL) saw many great games and series and saw July win his third OSL and become the second player and first Zerg player to win the Golden Mouse. The 2008 EVER OSL also saw the rise and peak of BeSt, who hasn't been the same since. Despite BeSt's success, this tournament belonged to July. Like his other OSL's, the final of this OSL was in the month of July and was won by July (3-0 in OSL finals in July). July started his dominance at the group selection ceremony. After being picked by #3 seed Luxury as an easy win, July responded by taking Luxury's twin brother and teammate, YellOw(ArnC). After this, July defeated Luxury, considered by many to have the best ZvZ, aside from Jaedong, with ease. After Rumble defeated YellOw(ArnC), the twins played each other, with Luxury winning in a very emotional game to eliminate his brother.
At the time of the tournament, Flash was the reigning OSL champion and was having a lot of success against all opponents. When Jaedong was eliminated by his teammate, BackHo, it seemed like Flash's chances at the 2008 EVER OSL was inevitable. When Flash was slotted to play Luxury in the Round of 8, it appeared Flash would break the OSL winners curse of having success in consecutive OSLs to advance. Luxury, however, demolished Flash in game 1 with a Guardian/Ultralisk rush after bunkering in with Sunken Colonies. Flash was completely blindsided and for the first time in months, looked beatable. Luxury then defeated Flash again on Andromeda to secure a spot in the semifinals and a seed in the next OSL.
BeSt utterly dominated his group of NaDa, JangBi and Stork to the complete surprise of everyone. He was a no-name at the time whose only accomplishment was defeating fOru in the WCG qualifiers after he had won the gold the previous year. BeSt then advanced over Much in the quarterfinals to set him up against Luxury in the semifinals. Luxury took a quick 2-0 lead before BeSt proceeded to win the next three games in a row and secure himself a spot in the final.
On the other side of the bracket, July defeated Rock in the quarters and BackHo in the semis to secure himself a spot in the final. Coming into the final, many doubted July. He had a very easy road so far, having an all Zerg Round of 16 group, with Luxury being the only big name. On top of that, July had only faced Protoss players who were not of the highest caliber. In addition, July never had to face a Terran opponent.
The stage was set for the finals, July vs BeSt. July, the God of War, an old Zerg who had become resurgent recently, vs BeSt, the Devil's Apprentice, a red hot young SKT Protoss who had none other than Kingdom to mentor and guide him. And what a final it was. July set the tone within seconds of the start by pulling a 5 pool on Othello. BeSt scouted and was able to block this and responded by proxying 2 Gateways. After some close calls, July finally spotted the proxy, put up some Sunkens and waltzed his trademark unit, the Mutalisk, into BeSt's main base to achieve victory. Even though his 5 pool failed, July had dealt a huge blow to BeSt's mentality and confidence.
Game 2 on Troy opened up rather standard, with July 12 hatching and BeSt going for a 1 base tech build, which is viable on Troy due to the neutral Assimilators between the main and natural. Luck was on July's side as his scouting Overlord went straight for BeSt's base. All appeared to be going normal when July's fleeing Overlord turned around and headed towards BeSt's Nexus before dying. A quick shot at July's natural showed Zerglings and Drones on the move. Using the mining trick, July was able to drill his Drones through BeSt's blockade allowing them to disrupt it and get Zerglings through. The camera panned to BeSt's teammate Bisu whose jaw was wide open in awe.
After 2 games, July critics were going crazy. He had defeated BeSt twice using aggressive rush builds instead of playing a standard macro game. July silenced these crtics by defeating BeSt on Andromeda in a long-drawn-out macro game to win his third OSL and the Golden Mouse. The highlight of the game happened near the end. July appeared to be ahead when BeSt dropped 4 Dark Templars into July's main and dealt severe damage and took out an Ultralisk Cavern. Many thought that this would allow BeSt to get back into the game when the camera flashed to July's natural, which was filled with Ultralisks. BeSt defended valiantly and showcased some beautiful storms but in the end, no one was stopping Tushin from his Golden Mouse.
₩72,000,000 (~$72,400) was awarded to the top finishers per the below: The total amount distributed was most likely just over ₩100,000,000, so as to be more in line with the purses from the neighboring OSLs. For example, the OSL that recently preceded the 2008 EVER OSL and which shared the same sponsor, the 2007 EVER OSL, had a total prize pool of ₩104,000,000, while the 2009 EVER OSL, which followed the 2008 EVER OSL one year later and also shared the same sponsor, had a prize pool of ₩108,000,000. Nonetheless, from the available sources, only the below cash awards can be confirmed.
The fifth through eighth place finishers were each awarded ₩3,000,000. Information concerning further cash prizes for other top finishers is not readily available.
|Protoss (11)||Terran (9)||Zerg (8)|
- Two preliminary group rounds were played using a four-person dual tournament format with best of one matches. Group Stage 1 comprised six groups of four players. The top two players advancing from six Group Stage 1, 12 in all, were then joined by the top four finishers from the 2008 Bacchus OSL that had immediately preceded the 2008 EVER OSL.
- These 16 players then competed in a second group round using a four-person traditional round-robin format. Group Stage 2 comprised four groups of four players.
- The top two players advancing from each of the four Group Stage 2 groups then advanced to a single elimination bracket where the quarterfinal round was a best of three format while the best of five format was used for both the semifinals and finals.
Results: Group Stage 1
Automatically seeded into Stage 2 from their top four performance at the previous OSL:
Results: Group Stage 2
Qualified From 2008 Bacchus OSL :
Qualified From Group Stage 1:
Results: Elimination Bracket
|Group Stage 1|
|Group Stage 2|
|Total Sum (Σ)||77||10||4||6||40.0%||22||14||8||63.6%||22||14||8||63.6%||2||7||14|
- Best vs NaDa on Troy Round of 16 Group B - After being locked into his base due to losing his assimilators on Troy, Best comes back to defeat Nada with superb shuttle play.
- July vs Luxury on Othello Round of 16 Group C - July defeats Luxury who chose him as an easy win for his group.
- Luxury vs YellOw(ArnC) on Hwarandgo Round of 16 Group C - Battle between the twins to decide who advances from their group.
- Flash vs Luxury on Troy Quarterfinals Game 1 - Luxury's infamous Guardian/Ultra build on Troy.
- July vs Best on Troy Finals Game 2 - Origin of the "Bisu face."
- July vs Best on Andromeda Finals Game 3 - July clinches the Golden Mouse and silences all doubters by defeating BeSt in a long macro game on Andromeda.
|Previous Starleague: 2008 Bacchus OSL |||2008EVER OSL||| Next Starleague: 2008 Incruit OSL|