The direct path between bases allows for early aggression in the early game, as well as a quick scout. The path is quickly abandoned in favor of the main path in the middle game due to the size limitation. The mineral only is close to the Natural Expansion which lets a Zerg take a quick third fairly comfortably against a Protoss FE build.
The ravine in the middle along with the high basilica is very important for positioning. Each side usually takes one side of the ravine and reinforces that line constantly. If the opposing side can reach the basilica, then they will have the high ground advantage pushing into both the third Expansion and the Natural.
Blue Storm was introduced into progaming in September 2007 during the GomTV MSL Season 3. It rose to be one of the more popular maps after hosting numerous epic games including Bisu vs Flash. With Zerg defeating Terran 12 times in the first 15 matches, it was quickly labeled a Zerg map. To remedy this, a second version of the map was created, modifying the Natural so that it was easier to defend from Mutalisk harass. Blue Storm has been used in all three major tournaments in Korea — Starleague, MSL, and Proleague, and awarded at 3rd Annual KeSPA Awards as the Best Map of 2007 Season.
Blue Storm was one of the four maps used in the 2008 Razer TSL.
- Ravine — As a result many games tend to fold out with both players splitting the half in two (particularly in Protoss vs. Terran)
- Natural entrance — There is a small gap besides the Natural Expansion only allowing small units to pass through. This greatly affects pathfinding and units must be rallied to the 3rd Expansion.
- Tankable Natural — Once a Terran pushes up to the Natural it can easily siege the Natural Expansion while being protected by the terrain.
- Exposed Natural — A major reason why Zerg was able to dominate Terran on this map is due to the fact there is a cliff backing right up behind the mineral line, making Mutalisk harass extremely effective. However, in version 1.2, more space was added behind the mineral line so Terran could place a Bunker or more Turrets, making Mutalisk harass potentially less effective in that version.
Blue Storm awarded as a Best Map of 2007 Season on 3rd Annual Korean e-Sports Award Ceremony (March 2008).
The statistics compiled from the YGosu.Com DB.
- League Statistics: Starleague 29 games; MSL 44 games; Proleague 131 games; other 742 games.
- Best Players: Jaedong 20–11 (64.5%), GGPlay 12–2 (85.7%)
Strong Build Orders
Zerg vs Terran
Zerg vs Protoss
Protoss vs. Protoss
Protoss vs. Terran
7 o'clock vs Protoss
note: Spire @ 3rd base may be unplaceable because of late creep when you play 9 pool
- Jaedong vs. Flash, TG-Intel Classic Season 1 Final 1set
- Pure vs. go.go, Shinhan Bank Proleague 2008 Week 7 Day 5 4set
- Flash vs. Stork, Bacchus Starleague Final 1set
- Flash vs. Bisu, Bacchus Starleague Semi-Final Match A 4set
- Jaedong vs. Flash, GOMTV MSL Season 4 Quarter-Final Match C 2set
- Bisu vs. Jaedong, GOMTV MSL Season 4 Ro32 Group B 1set
|2021-04-03||18:00 UTC||theleo_ua showmatch 1||Scan||Dewalt||(G6)|
|2020-06-11||12:00 UTC||Ultimate Battle Special: Bisu vs Jaedong||Jaedong||Bisu||(G1)|
|2020-02-21||16:00 UTC||Russian ProLeague Season 1||TTF||Dreamer||(G4)|
|2020-02-21||16:00 UTC||Russian ProLeague Season 1||Casper||spx||(G3)|
|2020-02-07||18:00 UTC||Russian ProLeague Season 1||Scout||Dreamer||(G2)|
|2019-10-14||13:00 UTC||Hwanjangjeon: SeCret vs Mong||Mong||SeCret||(G8)|
|2019-07-15||12:00 UTC||Hwanjangjeon: Britney vs Ginyuda||Ginyuda||Britney||(G8)|
|2018-11-04||10:00 UTC||41 Amateur Starleague Season 3||Tinkle||ErOs_ByuL||(G4)|
|2018-11-02||11:00 UTC||41 Amateur Starleague Season 3||Tinkle||By.Spire||(G4)|