Collegiate Starleague: Season 1
- 1 General Information
- 2 Format
- 3 Swiss Standings
- 4 Playoff Bracket
- 5 All-Star Match
- 6 Media
- 7 References
What began as a showmatch between Princeton and MIT  grew rapidly into an intercollegiate league in which 26 colleges competed in StarCraft: Brood War. The official season began in February 2009. Schools participated in six rounds of Swiss-format play, after which the top eight schools entered playoff matches.
The DCI uses the Swiss tournament system for most of its events. Unlike a standard single-elimination tournament, at most one team stands out during each round. Pairing is determined by records and standings, with the two highest ranked teams playing each other, and so on.
Match reporting was done by email, with coordinators submitting specially prepared PDF forms. Records and standings were calculated using a slightly modified version of the DCI Reporter program (now the Wizards Event Reporter).
The number of rounds was predetermined based on the number of participating teams. The DCI recommends 5 rounds of Swiss for tournaments between 17-32 participants. Overall, these recommendations mirror the number of rounds required to complete a single-elimination tournament.
The format of each match was four 1v1s and one 2v2. Each game of the match had to be played. Games were ordered as follows:
- Game 1: 1v1
- Game 2: 1v1
- Game 3: 2v2
- Game 4: 1v1
- Game 5: 1v1
Standings were determined by a point system. Points were given as follows:
- 3 points for winning a match.
- 1 point for drawing a match.
- 0 points for losing a match.
The match format naturally discludes the possibility of a draw. However, teams were allowed to intentionally draw matches in the last round of Swiss, if they agreed such an outcome suited them mutually.
Tiebreaking was based on three percentages, calculated for each team at the end of each round.
- Opponents’ match-win percentage (OMW): The average match-win percentage of the team’s opponents.
- Percentage of games won (PGW): Equal to the total number of games won divided by the number of games played. (Note: 1 match = 5 games)
- Opponent’s game-win percentage (OGW): The average game-win percentage of the team's opponents.
Note: "Establishing a minimum of 0.33 for percentages limits the effect low performances have when calculating and comparing opponents’ match-win percentages." 
The top 8 Swiss teams were than seeded into a single-elimination Playoff bracket. The quarter final matches were determined as follows:
The format for each playoff match was three 1v1s, one 2v2, and a closing ace match. The match goes to the first team to gather three wins. The 4th set and ace set are only played if necessary. Sets were ordered as follows:
- Set 1: 1v1
- Set 2: 1v1
- Set 3: 2v2
- Set 4: 1v1
- Set 5: Ace
- P/W/D/B: Played/Won/Drew/Bye
- Rutgers and USC submitted match results late and their results were not included, which is why Rutgers has a 1.0 PGW
- McGill University forfeited their Semi-Final match vs U.C. Berkeley
After the season ended, players from the top 8 teams were selected to represent their schools in a Bo5 showmatch. Teams were randomly assembled.
All-stars A 3-2 All-Stars B
- [UTexas]joLin vs. [UTexas]Tifa
- Meatpost[AoV] vs. [McGill]Freaky
- [Emory]ziz vs. [Rutgers]Nesh
- [UCB]yosh vs. [MIT]StRyKeR
- [UCB]yosh vs. [MIT]StRyKeR
Grand Final casted by Cholera
- Set 1 - j2-peter vs Zeko
Destination | Watch on YouTube
- Set 2 - j2.tifa vs ToT)yosh(
Othello | Watch on YouTube
- Set 3 - j2-chang-sta + j2-Quicklime vs Apoth + SamBakZa
Vampire (2v2) | Watch on YouTube
- Set 4 - j2-bub.rub vs DeepOneTerror
Rush Hour III | Watch on YouTube
- Set 5 - j2.jolin vs Nimue
Tau Cross | Watch on YouTube
Rutgers vs University of Texas (Semifinal 1) casted by Cholera
- Set 1 - j2.tifa vs Nesh
Sin Chupung-Ryeong | Part 1 · Part 2
- Set 2 - This set was never played (forfeit).
- Set 3 - j2-chang-sta + j2-Quicklime vs Clazziquai + Nak
Hannibal | Watch on YouTube
- Set 4 - j2.jolin vs OTL
Andromeda | Part 1 · Part 2 · Part 3
- Set 5 - j2.jolin vs Nesh
Colosseum II | Part 1 · Part 2 · Part 3
All-Star Match casted by Cholera and Day
- Set 1 - j2.jolin vs j2.tifa
Ride of Valkyries | Part 1 · Part 2
- Set 2 - Meatpost vs Freaky
Athena II | Watch on YouTube
- Set 3 - eU.ziz vs Nesh
Shades of Twilight | Part 1 · Part 2
- Set 4 - yosh vs StRyKeR
God's Garden | Part 1 · Part 2 · Part 3
- Set 5 - yosh vs StRyKeR
Outside | Part 1 · Part 2 · Part 3