This map was first introduced for the 2008 Shinhan Bank Proleague, and then modified into Colosseum II, used in the GomTV Avaratec-Intel Classic Season 2. This map is characterized by the narrow choke into the main with the neutral Creep, and the upraised natural that allows ranged units to shoot down into the canyon onto attacking units. This allows most players to get their natural fairly quickly, and defend it easily against ground attacks. However, there is a large amount of space behind the Minerals in the natural, allowing for easier harassment.
- Raised Natural - The protected natural with the ramp that is behind the choke to the main is the most important feature of the map. This allows you to expand as long as you can hold the choke to your main.
- Raised Expansion next to Choke - This expansion is a popular place for Proxies, as it allows a short travel distance by air into a player's main.
- Neutral Creep - This allows Zerg players to place Sunken Colonies down without being forced to put another Hatchery at the entrance to their main. It also allows doing Sunken Rush against Terran or Protoss, effective counter to Wall-In's. It is possible to make contain in ZvZ and ZvP
- Secondary Expansions - The second expansion was moved farther away from the natural expansion. This corrects for TvP imbalance and makes it more difficult for Terran players to protect this base with Siege Tanks.
- Mineral Only - The mineral-only bases outside of the secondary expansions were removed. This also makes it more difficult for Terran players to expand.
- Cliff in Main Base - Although nothing can be dropped on this cliff, it allows for easier harassment of the main base, especially with Mutalisks.
Strong Build Orders
Protoss vs. Protoss
Protoss vs. Terran
- 10/15 Dragoon Rush - While a 10/15 Rush is very common for maps that have no high ground for the Terran to defend on, Colosseum takes this to a whole different level. Due to the high ground outside of the wall-in Terran can have a lot of difficulties defending against the early Dragoon pressure as the Dragoons are able to attack from a raised position, which boost their usefulness. This map is one of the best maps available for a 10/15 Rush.
- 12 Nexus - Due to the natural expansion being on high ground tucked within the main, the early Nexus is unrushable. Also due to the large distance between the main bases, and it being a 4 player map, all Protoss has to do is scout for early proxy play to gain an early advantage. 12 Nexus has become the staple of PvT on Colosseum. Countered by 8 Rax or other early aggressive play.
Terran vs. Protoss
- Siege Expand - Siege Expanding has become one of the strongest build on Colosseum due to the easily defendable 3rd and the strength of 10/15 Gateway play. Upgrades are important on this map to be able to effectively push. Countered by Dark Templar Fast Expand.
- fOrGG build - A build used by fOrGG against Kal at MSL, specialized for this maps high grounds outside the main base. If learned properly can be absolutely devastating on Colosseum.
- Proxy Barracks Play (BBS) - Due to the large number of players among all ranks using the 12 Nexus as their opening, proxy play becomes very prevalent on this map. Alternate placement of the proxy will help as it is very common for the Protoss to scout for proxy play. Countered by the opponent not doing a 12 Nexus build.
Terran vs. Terran
Zerg vs. Protoss
Protoss FE Wall-ins
Map version images
- Jaedong vs. Lucifer, 2008 Arena MSL, 2008-06-07
- Memory vs. aha, 2009 GOMTV_Averatec-Intel Classic Season 2, 2008-09-28