From Liquipedia StarCraft Brood War Wiki
2 at 4,10
Jul 2017 - currently in use
Crossing Field is a Starcraft: Brood War map made by Waldstein. It saw immediate use in the Ginyuda Team Battle and the KCM Legend Match. The map was selected as a contender for the Afreeca Starleague Season 4 map pool, and was subsequently voted in.
The map features a backyard natural expansion with gas geyser. This is a rare feature, seen only on maps like Loki, Colosseum, and Central Plains. Backyard natural expansions are usually gasless like on Medusa.
The middle of the map is closed down and somewhat cramped with a lot of cliffs, but it has multiple attack paths for flanking maneuvers. The main and natural expansions are very vulnerable to drops from the side, especially since the map tends to get cut diagonally in manner similar to Blue Storm. For example, players at the 4 o'clock position tend to eventually expand to the 11 o'clock expansion. As a result, drops and air harassment tend to remain a factor for most of the game.
- Backyard natural expansion - Basically a free base behind the main. It means that three-base play is all but assured for both players. Maps with similar features would be Loki, Colosseum, Central Plains, and Medusa, although the latter does not have a gas geyser at the backyard natural.
- Ridges - The hills and ridges provide some defenders advantage, but they can also make for some brutal hard contains with Lurkers or Siege Tanks
- Vulnerable third - The most natural third base location is just below the main ramp, but it has a wide choke and a backdoor walkway leaving it vulnerable. Securing the ridge in front of the low ground base is required to keep your expansion safe.
- Abundant Gas Expansions - There are a total of six geysers on each side of the map. This is very similar to Loki, except the middle expansions are much more vulnerable here. Expect gas-heavy late-game play.
- Closed center - Instead of an open center there are a lot of cliffs with several paths of attack. Air units have a lot of advantages here.
- The ramp can be blocked with two Supply Depots and one Barracks
- Units cannot pass between the the gas geyser and the wall at the forward natural expansion
- You can block the back road leading into your expansion with two Pylons
- 5 o'clock and 11 o'clock can be blocked with three pylons
- Rush distance (worker): 38 seconds
- TL Map Analysis - Analysis of Crossing Field by Legionnaire
1.0 to 1.22
- Added 500 minerals to the backyard expansion, and 1500 to other mineral patches
- Adjusted the mineral field placement at the forward natural expansion
- Removed terrain that was blocking mineral patches at the forward natural expansion
- Tweaked the ramp and terrain leading into the backyard natural expansion
- Increased gas count at the expansions in the middle of the map to 2000
- Tweaked terrain at the forward natural expansion to allow better placement of buildings
- Miscellaneous terrain adjustments
1.22 to 1.31
- 4 o'clock base fixes:
- Fixed resource allocation
- Some terrain corrections
- Fixed the layout of the backyard expansion
Map Version Images
|EffOrt||GTB Grand Finals. EffOrt uses the high ground to great effect, placing Lurkers to halt any Protoss advance.|
|BeSt||KCM Race Survivals Season 4 Week 1. If EffOrt had moved the Drone one pixel further west he might have spotted the proxy Gateways. From there, the theme of the game is "the exposed third."|
This automatically generated table shows the 10 most recent games with VODs and can be modified here.