Yoon "free" Yong Tae is a StarCraft progamer from South Korea who played Protoss for Woongjin Stars.
He currently plays in amateur leagues on Afreeca.
Boasting solid macro and micro, Free is a well-rounded player that prefers to play standard macro games. Renowned for his PvZ, he has the second highest career winning percentage in PvZ behind Bisu and the third highest PvZ ELO peak. Throughout his career, he has repeatedly come close to becoming an S-class player but has not yet been able to gain this distinction for falling short in individual leagues.
Free's breakout season came in 2007 when he began to do exceptionally well in Proleague. From 2007-2009, Free was his team's workhorse. Despite being the only standout on his team, Free was reportedly only earning $5000 a year [though this situation changed when Woongjin acquired Hanbit]. With teammate Daezang in the army and GGplay slumping after his OSL victory, Free did not have much of a supporting cast and was his team's unanimous Ace. But despite a great Proleague record, he had difficulty making it past the Ro8 in individual leagues.
In the GOM3 MSL, he was unfortunate enough to meet sAviOr in the Ro8, losing 1-3. In the Club Day MSL, he managed to eliminate Jaedong with a score of 2-1, destroyed Nada 3-0, but lost 1-3 in the semifinals against the eventual winner, Bisu. Several months later, he was a hopeful for the GOM Classic Season 2 title, but suffered a 0-3 defeat in the semifinals at the hands of Jangbi.
Since Zero's breakout in 2009, the transfer of Kwanro, and the rise of Neo.G_Soulkey, Free's Ace duties have been shared with various teammates. He showed some success in individual leagues, making the semifinals of both the Hana Daetoo MSL and the Korean Air OSL Season 2. In both these semifinals he was pitted against Flash and lost 0-3 and 1-3 respectively. This makes a total of 4 semifinals in which Free was eliminated by the eventual winner.
2012 - Present
After the exodus of KESPA to Starcraft 2, he started participating in Amateur leagues and streaming on the Korean streaming platform Afreeca. He has enjoyed some success in tournaments, but he has yet to win anything in the Amateur scene and only got a forth place finish in the 11th SonicTV Starleague after losing to Mind in the match for third place. Free managed to qualify for the Afreeca Starleague Season 2 with a win over by.Spire in the Seoul Qualifier. He was seeded into Group C of the ASL Season 2, which included Stork, Rush and MIsO. After winning his initial game against MIsO Free lost to Stork and Rush and dropped out of Group C in third place.
The left side shows Free's overall record as of May 13, 2013, while the right side shows his statistics during the Era of the Six Dragons from September 1, 2008 to March 31, 2009:
|Total||Era of the Six Dragons|
|2021-02-28||2nd||Premier||Team||ASTL Season 2||3 : 4||$1,111|
|2021-01-16||1st||Major||1v1||CasterMuse StarLeague Season 4||4 : 3||BeSt||$3,622|
|2017-06-10||2nd||Premier||1v1||SSL Classic Season 1||1 : 3||EffOrt||$4,340|
|2015-08-23||4th||Premier||1v1||11th SonicTV BJ Starleague||1 : 3||Mind||$1,698|
|2010-09-02||3 - 4th||Premier||1v1||2010 Korean Air OSL Season 2||1 : 3||Flash||$5,600|
|2010-05-13||3 - 4th||Premier||1v1||Hana Daetoo Securities MSL||0 : 3||Flash||$4,025|
|2009-02-01||3 - 4th||Premier||1v1||GOMTV Averatec-Intel Classic Season 2||0 : 3||JangBi||$7,239|
|2008-11-15||3 - 4th||Premier||1v1||2008 Club Day Online MSL||1 : 3||Bisu||$4,025|
|2008-06-12||5 - 8th||Premier||1v1||2008 Arena MSL||1 : 3||Much||$1,610|
|2007-11-17||5 - 8th||Premier||1v1||2007 GOMTV MSL Season 3||1 : 3||sAviOr||$2,180|
|Complete list of results in any tournament|
- Free was one of the six Protoss dragons
- Free's weakest match-up is PvP, which usually hovers around the 50% rate.
- Free's strongest match-up is PvZ. Though his PvT is solid, he has continued to perform well in PvZ even during times when most other protoss have struggled.
- Free is known for his battle micro and small unit control. In Korean he is nicknamed, "Battle God"
- also nicknamed "6 Million Won Ace" because even when he was playing as the Ace for Woongjin Stars he received the same payment as his practice partners, ₩500,000 KRW (~435$) 
- free vs Hiya - Featuring lockdowns, mind controls, and more
- free vs Light - Hallucinated Dragoon and Arbiters
- free vs Upmagic - free showcases his Dragoon micro by defusing mines
- free vs Jaedong - infamous game in which free uses an army heavily composed of archons and reavers
- "It's regrettable to retire... but I was happy" - Retirement Interview with free by DailyESports
- "Am I not one of the Six Dragons?" - Interview with free after he advanced to the Round of 16 of the 10th SonicTV Starleague
- A Short interview with free - Short interview with free after his first game of the SSL 10 Round of 16
- free interview - free interview shortly after advancing through tiebreakers to the SSL 10 quarterfinals