Overwatch is a map that was used in the foreign BroodWar scene. It first appeared in the SBWI Summer Tour of 2013 and was later used for the first SBWI Teamleague. Due to the prevalence of Protoss and Zerg on the map it was updated to Neo Overwatch before the STL1 playoffs to make it more feasible for terran.
Due to its long time popularity In the foreign scene in February 2019 it was announced as a new ladder map as well as a map for season 3 of the Korean Starcraft League.
- tight rush path - the direct rushing and scouting path between both players is constricted by bridges and a tight gap in the centre of the map, giving players tactical opportunity to intercept an incoming enemy and forcing bigger armies to take wider alternative routes around the map
- high ground pods - There are two big high ground pods along the main path from the natural to the centre of the map, which are important for players to control to gain a tactical advantage in engaging the third gas expansion
- open third gas expansion - One of the hallmark features of the original Overwatch was the third gas, which, unlike most maps, was low ground and open to three sides without a clear choke to defend. This made it very hard for terran to take a third gas. In the update to Neo Overwatch this expansion was redesigned to be much easier defensible
- curved ridges - the centre of the map is dominated by two curved ridges that offer positional advantage to the player gaining position on them in an engagement.
For the playoffs of the SBWI Team League this map underwent some significant changes, which were mostly intended to increase terrans' feasibility to play on it.
- bigger mains - main area increased for more late game macro space
- changed 3rd gas expansion - 6/12 o'clock gas expansions made high ground with two ramps leading to them
- turret spots - added small buildable spaces to the low ground between natural and third for turrets
- choke changes - various adjustments to ramps and chokes
- resources - optimized resource formations for all expansions
Map version images