Peaks of Baekdu
Peaks of Baekdu was a fairly long-lived Starcraft: Brood War map that was used across multiple leagues between 2006 and 2007, and appeared occasionally in showmatches and events in 2008. Shortly after its premiere in 2006, a new version - Sin Peaks of Baekdu (also some times called Shin Peaks of Baekdu) - was created to address several emerging problems. This version was tested in the 2006 MBC MOVIES 9th Survivor tournament, and was quickly selected for the 2006 MSL tournament.
Its primary persisting problem was a racial imbalance, favoring Zerg in the ZvP matchup.
- (New version) Exposed Natural — Very open area which makes it hard to defend fast expansion builds against early aggression.
- (New version) Minerals on ramp — Must be mined out for safe back door access to the next expansion spot.
- (Original version) Low Ground Mains — The low ground mains lead to players moving up to their natural early on so the player does not get contained at his or her ramp.
- (Original version) Two choke points — While the chokes are right next to each other, this feature did make it much harder to wall off safely
- (Original version) No Gas Natural — This feature leads to many unique strategies being played out such as one base play.
- (Original version) Vulnerable third — Further emphasises 1-base play, making this map a strange beast in its original incarnation.
The statistics compiled from the YGosu.Com DB.
- League Statistics: Starleague 54 games; MSL 13 games; Proleague 129 games; other 614 games.
- Best Player: Jaedong 21–6 (77.8%)
Strong Build Orders
Protoss vs. Protoss
Terran vs. Zerg
Map version images
|sAviOr||Nal_rA exploits a peculiar feature of map design in this brilliant game against one of the best ZvP players of the day.|
- sAviOr vs. Flash on Sin Peaks of Baekdu, MBCGame All-Star Skins League, Quarter-Final 3set
- Jaedong vs. iloveoov on Sin Peaks of Baekdu, Shinhan Bank Proleague 2007 Ro1, Day 53 4set
|Peaks of Baekdu||451||103||52||51||50.5%||105||55||50||52.4%||85||45||40||52.9%||52||68||38|