From Liquipedia StarCraft Brood War Wiki
Area of Effect:
Spawn Broodling is an offensive spell cast by the Zerg Queen. A Queen with this ability can instantaneously destroy any non-robotic ground unit in the game as the Broodling larvae she plants rapidly mature and, feeding on the victim from the inside, destroy their host.
When casting Spawn Broodling, a Queen shoots a projectile at a selected target. On impact, the target is destroyed and two Broodlings are spawned. Upon their creation, they have a fixed amount of "energy" that represents their life span. Similar to Hallucinations, when this energy depletes, the Broodling automatically dies after their lifespan of 75.22 seconds.
While the energy cost for this spell is high, the ability to rapidly turn the tide of battle with the destruction of a key unit is not to be underestimated. Broodlings themselves will quickly die, having only 30 hit points, but may draw splash damage from Siege Tanks on their enemy.
It is also sometimes used to break endgame stalemates when both players are mined out and are low on army count.
Spawn Broodling affects all ground units with the exception of:
The Queen is almost never seen in Zerg vs. Zerg other than for Ensnare late game. However, Spawn Broodling is very effective should the opponent somehow make Ultralisks.
The most common target for Spawn Broodling in Zerg vs. Terran are Siege Tanks. It is usually optimal if the player targets Siege Tanks in a cluster as the Broodling's presence will cause other Tanks to shoot them thus damaging adjacent units through friendly Splash Damage.
Broodlings are rarely seen in Zerg vs. Protoss since the most expensive Protoss ground units are immune to the spell (i.e. Reavers, Archons). However, Broodlings can function as a surprise tactic to catch the Protoss player off guard. It is most effective during a successful lurker contain to prevent High Templar numbers accumulating. They are the most common targets.
In Combination with Other Spells
- Broodling energy is not affected by either Feedback or EMP Shockwave.
- Hallucinations are destroyed by Spawn Broodling. However, no Broodlings are spawned.
- Stasised units cannot be Broodlinged. Broodlings caught in Stasis will die when their energy depletes.
- Defensive Matrix cannot prevent Spawn Broodling.
- Spells such as Lockdown, Parasite and Optical Flare will not carry over to the Broodlings.
- If the casting Queen is killed while the Broodling projectile is still underway, the spell has no effect.
- Bisu vs. ZerO - 09-07-08 - Bacchus OSL 2009 Ro16 Group C- ZerO uses Spawn Broodling to snipe High Templars in the Protoss army.
- Hoejja vs. Ruby - 09-05-07 - Final Match, Group 2, 5set @ MSL Survivor Tournament 2009 - Hoejja uses Spawn Broodling in an attempt to break the Terran's tankline.
- Neo.G_Soulkey vs. Leta -11-04-23 - Hite vs. Stars: Set 1 Soulkey breaks Leta's tankline multiple times with multiple Spawn Broodlings.
- ↑ adapted from: Zerg Strategy Guide <http://classic.battle.net/scc/zerg/special.shtml>