12-12 Reaper Expand
Opening with a 12 Barracks and cutting one SCV for 50 gas fast enough to build a Reaper; and either a Reactor (for Marines and Bunker to defend) or Reaper (2) to pressure a greedy build that delays ranged units like the Queen and Mothership Core. Either way this is either follow-up with a Factory for Hellions (against Zerg) or 2nd and 3rd Barracks for Marauders and Stimpack research (vs. Protoss)
Info is the Goal
Reapers are not strong units and require a lot of micro, so it is not necessary to continually harass workers (unless you have the APM. It is much better to scout potential aggression as the strength of the build is being able to take and defend a low-ground expansion (against un-upgraded Zerglings or simply to scout what Protoss makes after the Cybernetics Core.
Basic Build Order
|12-12 Reaper First Fast Expand|
- Reapers are slower than Zerglings with Metabolic Boost. Bring them back to defend for a more combo with Hellions (1&2).
- Reaper/s are only useful early game for scouting Protoss, it is not recommended to build more than 1, but 3 Reapers will kill a single Stalker head on.
- If your opponent scouts your base before you had the chance to finish your Wall-Off be very aware of early pressure/proxies/etc.
- Reapers are faster than any Protoss ground units but cannot fight anything convincingly, if your scout is denied do not sacrifice.
- Follow-up with 2 Barracks for a strong Stimpack timing or Factory for Widow Mines for defense and dropping.
- Scout for hidden Pylons; attempt to deny these with Marines, but do not bother with getting in fights with Stalkers (which are usually skipped for the rush timing) unless you have a Engineering Bay on the way that can hold at least one mineral line in time for Oracles.
- Bomber (T) vs. Creator (P), 2013 WCS Korea Season 1
- Set 1, Set 3: Bomber (T) vs. First (P), 2013 WCS Korea Season 2]. Proxy Reaper into fast four Marines to defend the Mothership Core.
- Supernova (T) vs. Rain (P), WCS Korea Season 2. Supernova uses the quick Reactor for Reapers and Marines to bait a Nexus Cannon and then follows up with Hellions to abuse this. And then, CC First every game after, until Set 4 & Set 5.
Maps with lots of cliffs, closed off naturals, e.g. Korhal City.