1 Base Roach
This is a 1 base Roach build order with 8 Roaches moving out at 5:10 followed by 7 ling pairs who arrive at the opponents ramp at around the same time.
To bust through a wall and decimate the opponent's mineral line to get ahead economically or even out, considering the heavy early investment into army.
Basic Build Order
The strategy can also work very well against a late pooling Zerg.
Use your first Overlord to check the ramp and possible units at the wall.
- The way to attack is by moving your 8 Roaches up the ramp and sniping a Pylon or a Supply Depot then allowing your lings to run in. Tip: Run your Roaches as close as possible to the wall so that shooting Roaches do not block their colleagues behind them. If a Sentry or a Marauder is in reach behind the wall kill him first. If you manage to destroy the garrison of troops behind the wall, leave a few Roaches there to prevent any sneaking out and send the rest to the mineral line to kill as many drones as possible. By the time you broke the wall your lings will have arrived to help kill his defense. It is really important to attack your opponent's army first and then his economy - do not try to shut down your opponent's production (except it is only powered by a single Pylon). But it is important to keep in mind macroing and making a lot of drones is more important than controlling your units at this point, since the units have paid for themselves already. Your economic advantage is what wins you the game usually.
Note: This build does cut quite a few drones early on, so if you do not think you can break the ramp, preserve your units, and retreat to set up to defense at your natural.If you see more than 1 Marauder or more than 1 Sentry behind the wall do not try to break it, you will lose too many Roaches. If you commit to the attack and it fails you will be hard-pressed to make enough units to defend and still have an economy.
You can opt to skip Zergling speed and instead get a faster Lair, but any follow ups with speedlings will not be so "speedy"
Another safe variant is to skip Zergling speed and get your natural expansion before Lair tech, you should have exactly the right amount when your Roaches hit the opponents wall - then based on what you see get either a 2nd Queen first (vs Banshee or Void Rays) or go Lair tech. This variant will help to catch up economy in case your first attack is not very successful.
When to do this build:
- 2 player maps
- Steppes of War
- Blistering sands (you can knock at the back door)
- Xel-Naga Caverns
- Your opponent is walling in and teching (this includes a fast 4-gate that cuts Sentries and Stalkers early on)
- Your opponent is 2-gateing (see above) on close positions (also see above)
When not to do this build :
- Your opponent is getting sizable army early on of Sentries and Stalkers or 3-raxing (You can sometimes do it vs a Marine heavy 3 rax)
- If your opponent is 2-gating defend first then counter (This build is very 2-gate safe)
- You are on Scrap Station, Desert Oasis (no longer in map pool), Kulas Ravine (no longer in map pool), or Delta Quadrant vs T (At least I have had little luck with it)