2010 Sony Ericsson StarCraft II Open Season 3
(≃ $173,053 USD
This is the third and last of three GOMTV Global StarCraft II League Open events. For general information not specific to this event, check the main GSL page.
This tournament used the same map pool as GSL 2:
- Preliminary rounds were held on November 15 and 16.
- Unlike the previous two GSL open events, there was no vetoing of any maps in all rounds.
The total prize pool was ₩199,600,000 (Approximately $173,053.20), divided among participants as follows:
* Approximate USD amounts taken from http://xe.com on December 18, 2010. ₩1000 = $0.867
- GuMiho was the first random player to qualify for any GSL open.
- There were five foreigners in this tournament: Sen, HayprO, Jinro, IdrA, and Ret.
- July, an accomplished StarCraft progamer, and Moon, an accomplished Warcraft III progamer, qualified for their first GSL open.
- Due to Tasteless experiencing a PC issue, Artosis was the English observer for Game 1 of FruitDealer vs sC. This was the first time Artosis had acted as a professional observer.
- HongUn built the first Carrier of any GSL open against JSL.
- Jinro was the first foreigner to reach the RO4.
- HongUn and MC, respectively, were the first Protoss players to reach the RO4.
- During the Ro.4 broadcast, Artosis incorrectly claimed that MC's win over Jinro was the first 4-0 in the GSL. NesTea had previously 4-0'd BoxeR in the Ro.4 of Season 2.
- MC was the first Protoss player to reach the Finals and the first Protoss to win the tournament.
- First season where the map vetoing option for players was disabled which receives large amounts of criticisms from Zerg players. The inability to veto short distanced maps such as Steppes of War caused many cheeses and all-ins in TvZ match ups throughout Season 3.
- Pepsi was a sponsor of this event with their Mountain Dew brand as the sponsored beverage.
- The first season to have no Zerg in the final four.
- Capital ship watch: Number of games where these units were a major factor in the outcome: