2016 StarCraft II World Championship Series
The 2016 StarCraft II World Championship Series is a series of events organized by or in cooperation with Blizzard Entertainment. They are designed to include four major StarCraft II broadcasters, ESL, DreamHack, AfreecaTV and SPOTV Games. There will be a 2 million USD prize pool, that will be spread out among multiple events throughout the year. WCS will be essentially split between the WCS Circuit and WCS Korea, only reunited in WCS Global Events and in the WCS Global Playoffs that conclude the season.
Sixteen spots in the WCS Global Playoffs will be available, either by winning specific events (WCS Circuit championships or WCS Korea seasons), or by being one of the top-ranked players of the WCS Circuit or WCS Korea.
The WCS system is split in two: WCS Korea and WCS Circuit. Both systems have their standings, with points earned at various events.
Throughout the year
The Global StarCraft II League is organized by AfreecaTV, and operates as follows:
- Code A contains 48 players vying for a spot in Code S for the current season.
- Code S has two group stages and a final elimination tournament. The top 8 players are automatically qualified in Code for the next season.
The StarCraft II StarLeague is organized by SPOTV Games, and operates as follows:
- Qualifiers will be tournaments giving 12 players access to the Main event
- The Main Event will have 16 players competing for the championship:
- Single elimination until the semifinals
- Double-elimination with the four remaining players, automatically qualified in the main event for the next season
Exceptionally, for Season 1, 16 players qualify for the main event.
There will be three WCS Circuit Championships (Winter, Spring, Summer) awarding points. These events are run by third-party tournament organizers.
Regional Challenger tournaments will seed into the championships, and provide additional points.
Additionally, WCS Circuit events will give the opportunity to earn more points. They will be split in two categories:
- 5000-point events, with a minimum of 16 players
- 2500-point events, with a minimum of 8 players
WCS Global Events will reunite players from both regions, awarding 7500 points.
At the end of the year, eight players from each region qualify to the 2016 WCS Global Playoffs:
- WCS Korea: 4 seeds from the GSL and SSL events, 4 seeds from the standings
- WCS Circuit: 3 seeds from the Circuit Championships, 5 seeds from the standings
If a player has won multiple GSL/SSL events, or multiple Circuit Championships, then there will be one more seed from the standings.
There will be four groups of four players :
- Two players from WCS Korea, two players from WCS Circuit
- Dual Tournament format
- Top two qualify to the WCS Global Finals
The 2016 WCS Global Finals will feature 8 players qualified from the Global Playoffs, playing in a single-elimination bracket, with Bo5 matches leading to a Bo7 grand final, crowning the 2016 WCS Champion.
2016 StarCraft II World Championship Series Events
|2016 StarCraft II World Championship Series Global Playoffs and Finals||2016 (2016-10-27 - 2016-11-05)||ByuN||Dark||4-2|
|WCS Korea Season 1|
|2016 Global StarCraft II League Season 1||2016 (2016-01-08 – 2016-05-01)||Zest||TY||4-2|
|2016 StarCraft II StarLeague Season 1||2016 (2016-01-07 – 2016-04-09)||Dark||Stats||4-2|
|2016 WCS Korea Season 1 Cross Finals||2016 (2016-05-22)||Stats||Dark||3-1|
|WCS Korea Season 2|
|2016 Global StarCraft II League Season 2||2016 (2016-05-27 – 2016-09-10)||ByuN||sOs||4-1|
|2016 StarCraft II StarLeague Season 2||2016 (2016-06-02 – 2016-09-11)||Solar||Dark||4-3|
|2016 WCS Korea Season 2 Cross Finals||2016 (2016-09-25)||Dark||Solar||3-2|
|2016 WCS Winter Circuit Championship||2016 (2016-03-02 – 2016-03-05)||Polt||Snute||4-2|
|2016 WCS Spring Circuit Championship||2016 (2016-05-14 – 2016-05-16)||ShoWTimE||Nerchio||4-3|
|2016 WCS Summer Circuit Championship||2016 (2016-08-12 – 2016-08-14)||TRUE||Polt||4-1|
2016 WCS Circuit Events
|2016 DreamHack Open: Leipzig||Leipzig||(2016-01-22 – 2016-01-24)||5,000||PtitDrogo||Bly||4-1|
|Gold Series International 2016||Shanghai||(2016-03-21 – 2016-03-26)||5,000||Harstem||Snute||4-1|
|2016 DreamHack Open: Austin||Austin||(2016-05-06 – 2016-05-08)||5,000||Hydra||Neeb||4-2|
|2016 DreamHack Open: Valencia||Valencia||(2016-07-14 – 2016-07-16)||5,000||Nerchio||MarineLorD||4-0|
|IEM Season XI - Shanghai||Shanghai||(2016-07-28 – 2016-07-31)||5,000||uThermal||Neeb||4-2|
|WCS Copa Intercontinental||Mexico City||(2016-09-10 – 2016-09-11)||4,100||Snute||ShoWTimE||4-2|
2016 WCS Global Events
|2016 KeSPA Cup||Seoul||(2016-09-27 – 2016-10-03)||7,500||Neeb||Trap||4-0|
- 2016 StarCraft II World Championship Series
- 2016 WCS Details on residency, format, seeding and additional restrictions