Balance Update 11
- Balance Changes
- Developer Thoughts
StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm - Balance Update #11
- Train Reaper no longer requires a Tech Lab Addon.
- Attack speed changed from 1.9 to 2.
- The Infernal Pre-Igniter upgrade no longer increases Hellbat weapon damage.
- Napalm Spray weapon damage increased from 10 +9 vs. light to 18 +12 vs. light.
- Splash damage radius decreased from 110 to 45.
- Caduceus Reactor
- No longer improves the healing rate of Medivacs.
- Upgrade cost decreased from 150/150 and 110 seconds to 100/100 and 80 seconds.
- Emergency Thrusters ability renamed Ignite Afterburners.
- Seeker missile
- Energy cost decreased from 125 to 75.
- Primary target damage reverted from 300 to 100.
- Seeker Missile once again deals splash damage.
- The delay time prior to firing has been increased from 3 to 5 seconds.
- The Battlefield Awareness passive ability has been removed from the game.
- Movement speed increased from 3.38 to 3.75.
- The Nitro Packs upgrade has been removed from the game.
- P-45 Gauss Pistol weapon damage decreased from 4 +5 vs. Light to 4.
- Siege Tank
- Siege Tanks no longer require an upgrade in order to enter Siege Mode.
- The Vortex ability has been removed from the game.
- Mothership Core
- The Envision ability has been moved to Oracle.
- The Time Warp ability has been moved to the Mothership Core and the Mothership.
- Fungal Growth damage decreased from 30 +10 vs. Armored to 30.
- Mutalisk Regeneration passive ability renamed Tissue Regeneration and its tooltip has been updated to improve clarity.
Here's a breakdown of our reasoning behind recent changes to gameplay in the Heart of the Swarm beta.
The Medivac heal beam upgrade didn't go as intended. We want players to use Hellbats as meat shields, but instead, players were just using Marines and Marauders.
The Hellbat changes in this patch should allow players to more easily combo Hellbats, no matter what army composition they’re creating in their games.
- Siege Tank
This change should mainly affect TvP, so that teching to mech is easier.
- Seeker Missile
We felt that the splash damage version of Seeker Missiles were much more useful than the single target variety. At the same time, the new method for firing the missile made more sense, as shooting the missiles at a point blank range doesn’t hit with a 100% chance.
On top of that, we’d like to test out a cheaper, more difficult-to-hit-with version of the Seeker Missile so that we can hopefully see some "dodging vs. hitting" gameplay with this ability.
We feel the biggest issue with Reapers is that burst damage happens way too fast. Especially in TvT, if players aren’t spot-on defensively, the game can easily end right there, due to how fast Reapers are killing light units.
The changes in this patch are aimed at keeping Reapers as very dangerous units, but by getting rid of the burst damage and adding an extremely fast movement speed (along with no tech requirement), we’re hoping Reapers will be primarily effective when health regeneration is utilized. Additionally, we feel that scouting is much more important in Heart of the Swarm and want the Reaper to be easily be mixed into armies at any point of the game, in order to scout better.
We anticipate that this could be the most impactful change in this patch, so please give it extra attention, and test thoroughly before giving us your feedback.
- Time Warp/Envision
Envision has been simply giving Protoss mobile detection for free from the beginning of the game, and using many Time Warps in one battle turned out to be too much vs. Terran bio-based play. Therefore, we decided to switch out these two spells. Envision is now more of a choice, and Time Warp is limited per battle.
We removed Vortex and added Time Warp to the Mothership because we feel that Time Warp is a lesser version of Vortex - which we thought went too far in Wings of Liberty - and the new Vortex was just not interesting enough.
- Fungal Growth
We've seen seeing Fungal Growth become less effective in Heart of the Swarm. However, we've wanted to push this ability out a bit further for reasons stated in previous situation reports.
We feel that the most necessary, core use of this ability is: fighting against Mutalisks. So we're trying a general downgrade against all Armored units to see how that goes.