- This article covers the current multiplayer version of this unit. For another version see Hellbat (Heart of the Swarm).
A tough melee-range unit with conical splash damage. After finishing an Armory Hellbats can be produced from the Factory or transformed from and into the Hellion (transformation takes 3 seconds).
The Hellbat can be healed by both a gang of SCVs, which can also heal Hellions, and Medivacs that can target one Hellbat at once but not by multiple Medivacs; so no need to produce an excessive number to heal.
| 100 100 79
|Researched from: Tech Lab
|Improves the Hellion's bonus against Light units by +5 damage and the Hellbat's bonus against Light units by +12 damage.
The Smart Servos upgrade reduces the time required to transform into a Hellion from 2.86-3.04 seconds to 1.43 seconds.
- Used in TvT and TvZ to stop Stimpack and Metabolic Boost rushes from turning into Siege Tank pushes and Baneling busts, as Hellions combined with Medivacs can counter harass an opponent's base after they have moved out and cause serious damage.
- Even more effective against Melee troops in chokes.
- As a high health and relatively low DPS unit, Hellbats are best used in combination with high firepower units like the Marine and Siege Tank.
- Hellbat drops are very effective at harassing mineral lines, and the Medivac Afterburn ability makes it possible to chase down retreating harvesters.
- Sometimes used to pressure Adepts to defend and force Stalkers to waste early gas.
- Making a Cyclone a bit better, usually made to defend against Oracles blind anyways.
- Hellions are used to counter any early Marine + Siege Tank pushes can force an SCV pull if not stopped mid map.
- Above is a common with a Starport before Cyclones where a thing, Medivacs can be used best after the enemy has expanded to the natural for options than one base.
- Hellions are prefered to Hellbats to match Marine range throughout the match-up and can retreat to repair as well.
- Hellions to at least 4 is the most common TvZ opening to pressure Zerglings and Drones, to turn this into an attack timing go to 8 as fast as possible and add an Armory. That's it, Hellbats have a bit more damage than Hellions, can pressure Queens and even tank for Cyclones.
- Hellbats can be used instead of Hellions to snipe low HP-bases, this is more effective with the Smart Servos upgrade.
- Despite having the Light unit tag, a single Hellbat can tank 4 baneling hits by iteself, making them decent cover for marine squads outside of their poor mobility.
- In most cases, Marauders are preferred however as they can deal with Roaches or Stalkers and have better range and DPS with Stimpack. However they are more costly and in some situations slower to mass up compared to the Hellbat/Hellion.
- When playing mech, Banelings counter Hellbats, hence Terrans try to split the Hellbats, to minimize the Banelings splash damage.
- When transforming into a Hellion, the unit's HP pool decreases from 135 to 90. Missing health is carried over proportionately.
- I hear ya!
- What's the story?
- Talk to me!
- Getting Fired up here boss!
- Lets set something on fire!
- To be honest I don't cook so much as I burn things.
- You be grillin' I be chillin'.
- !@#$(fuck) the tires let's light some fires!
- The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as... the twice as... half... divided by half.... ugh.
- Check it out! They gave me a robot.
- 'whistles' This thing had to set em' back a pretty penny
- Transform and roll out!
- I just want to watch the world burn.
- We aint' got no water, just let the mother****er burn. [q 1]
- Flame retardant? Well you're half right.
- Hell ain't other people. It's me!
- Done and done.
- Hell yeah.
- Hot footin' out there.
- Can't wait.
- In Motion!
- Here we go!
- Flame on
- Taste napalm
- Smoke em!
- Burn Baby, Burn
- Can't wait
- Lookin forward to this
- Lets give em hell
- Got any extra "Fire" power?
- ↑ from The roof is on fire
Hellbat's quotes (sound) - YouTube video.
|Patch 4.11.0 
- Infernal Pre-Igniter research cost decreased from 150/150 to 100/100.