Hello, Goodbye Tournament
The Hello, Goodbye Tournament was the first StarCraft II beta tournament available for players with a beta-key for the US BNet-server. The tournament organizer randomKo_Orean is a long time forum member on TeamLiquid. On the 4th of March 2010, he started a topic on the Teamliquid forums where he announced his plans to run a StarCraft II beta-tournament before leaving the Starcraft community. Therefore, participation is restricted to TL members:
- From now on, people already signed up are fine, but you must have minimum requirement of 20 posts [on TL.net] and joined [TL.net] before Feb. 1st, 2010. No exceptions anymore.
Originally the tournament only offered a $50 prize pool, but thanks to several TeamLiquid members donating to the tournament, the final prize pool went up to $1105. Along with the prizes, so grew the interest in the tournament. Originally set to have one caster, it ended up with three casters: Day(9), Diggity and Psyonic_Reaver were all set to cast in the playoffs.
From the original thread:
- [randomKo_Orean] started off [his] Starcraft career at Team Areola (AKA AixaZnKid, got a position of replay rater for awhile), then worked [his] way to TLnet(...) In order for [himself] to give back to the community, [he has created] coaching thread and "[he'll] do your stupid idea" threads, among other things... but [his mother told him to quit gaming before she passed away] and [he has] full intentions to fulfill her wishes.
- However, [he wanted] to do one last thing for the [Team Liquid] community: a tournament.
Offering $1,105 spread among all players as follows:
Each casters received $40 per person, making the total money involved $1225.
List of Contributions
- randomKo_Orean - $50
- Disarray - $50
- Skazzo - $25
- Jacen - $30
- Mathos (aka RisingTide) - $50
- fevax - $10
- Torenhire - $50
- Volshok - $75
- JTPROG - $15
- squ1d - $30
- TanGeng - $140
- Sowers - $50
- Anonymous - $650
Instead of running a normal 128-player bracket, the tournament had 8 randomized bracket-groups with 16 players in each bracket. When those groups were played, the tournament was in the Ro8 where another randomized bracket was created with the remaining players.
- All series, until the Grand Finals, will be Bo3;
- Grand Finals will be Bo5;
- First map played will be Lost Temple, after that it's losers choice;
- All current maps are in the map pool except for the Novice maps;
- No abusive usage of bugs.
From Age of Empires 3
- H2o_ (AKA Ruthless in StarCraft II beta, Winner of WCG Age of Empires 3 in 2008)
- Artosis (Eliminated first round)
- iNcontroL (Eliminated second round)
- Smuft (Eliminated in Round of 32)
- LzGaMeR (Eliminated in Quarterfinals by IdrA)
- Legionnaire (Eliminated first round)
- Gretorp (Eliminated in Round of 16)
- Xeris (Eliminated second round)
From Asphalt 4
- Bluewolf (Eliminated second round)
The 128 man tournament was split into 8 legs. After the 8 bracket winners emerged, they were randomly placed into the Final 8 bracket.
- Note: IdrA switched from Protoss to Zerg mid-tournament.