A small, two-player map with many choke points and cliffs, Incineration Zone is one of the ladder maps released in the second map-pack in the Wings of Liberty Beta and the first Volcanic tileset 1v1 map released by Blizzard. The map was removed from the ladder map pool upon the launch of StarCraft II on July 27, 2010.
Official Map Description
One main path leads to the enemy. Use of the Watch Tower and foliage will determine victory in the main path. Rocks protect and additional path useful for surprise attacks.
- The Xel'Naga Watchtower overlooks both the main pathways between the two sides of the map. Control of this will be a vital aid in securing map control.
- No large open areas on the map make flanking particularly difficult and can make contains more effective.
- Two entrances to the natural expansions can make defending them more difficult.
- Very short distances, both by ground and air, between the bases mean that rushes and harassment can be very effective.
- Large mains can allow effective use of drops, hidden proxies/techs etc.
- For Terran - placing a Barracks with a Tech Lab close by the edge of your base that is nearest to your opponent's and getting a fast Reaper out can be exceptionally strong against a Protoss that didn't get a Stalker first.