09/2012 - present
Megaton is an 8 player map that was released by Blizzard with the launch of StarCraft II. It is intended for 4v4 play.
Official Map Description
Team play map. You share a fortress with your allies. Expansions are scattered on the outskirts. A central Xel'Naga Tower overlooks the main attack path.
- Similar to Extinction, Megaton features a large main-mass for all 4 allies to share and equally defend together.
- Megaton has only two large ramps: one that is medium-sized and leading out to a single expansion and another that is a large-sized slope leads to 3 natural expansions.
- 3 Towers sit on the symmetric line separating the two team bases. They offer a view of any potential attacks coming from the center, 7 o'clock, and the 8 o'clock positions.
- Similar to High-Ground, Megaton holds 4 gold expansions that are vulnerable to enemy attack, requiring players to draw attention away from the defense of their natural expansions and main bases in order to defend them.
- Each main has a large open area the mineral line at the 5 and 11 o'clock position that enables drop and Nydus play.
- Players spawning at the 5 and 11 o'clock positions are also very vulnerable to air attacks due to the large open airspace at those positions enabling air harass.
- This map is geared towards mid-game two-base pushes.
- The suggestion to rush on this map because to the expansions being very dangerous and wide-open is perhaps disadvantageous. While rushes are not uncommon on this map, allowing Zerg to fast-expand at the 6 o'clock position will give the a Zerg player the ability to build up a mid-game army.
- This map is geared towards two-base play, permitting a third at the gold expansion if the team have the mobility and the numbers to support defending an expansion so far from the main base and path of attack.
- It is suggested that players should attempt to hold all three towers on this map, allowing their team to see the incoming enemy force strength and direction.
- Denying enemy expansions will help put your team ahead economically.