Proxy Gateway into Proxy Tempest (vs. Terran)
You're going to proxy a second Gateway and use two Stalkers and a Zealot to pressure the Terran expansion, hopefully securing the low-ground and containing the Terran on one base. From there, you're going to further secure your contain with Shield Batteries and a Void Ray whilst rushing to Tempests as fast as possible. The resultant contain is very difficult for a Terran to break without massing a large number of Vikings.
This build can be characterised as a cheese as it's unlikely to work if the opponent knows that it's coming early enough and also knows the correct response.
Basic Build Order
|Proxy Gateway into Proxy Tempest (vs. Terran)|
- If your Zealot/Stalker/Stalker force can't secure the Terran's natural, make your Shield Battery proxy Pylon outside the Terran natural and assault them from there instead. A Void Ray bust can usually kill the Terran outright if they're not properly prepared.
- Once your contain is solidified, patrol a unit between close-by-air Terran bases to make sure they don't float down a Command Centre without you realising it.
- Make 3 Tempests and then an Oracle if the Terran rushes out Vikings. You need to start picking at them straight away, and the Oracle helps you do that. 3 Tempests two-shot Vikings, so it's a good break-point to use.
- If the Terran doesn't rush out Vikings, go up to 5 Tempests before making an Oracle. You won't need to pick away at the Vikings quite as quickly and 5 Tempests can one-shot Vikings.
- If the Terran tries a Cyclone response, remember that 4 Tempests one-shot Cyclones. Cyclones also have a hard time getting down a ramp if there are lots of Cannons at the bottom.
After building your proxy Gateway, your Probe should scout the Terran base for any signs of cheese. Notably, you should be making sure that the Terran has built their initial Barracks at home. If this isn't the case then...
Scenario One: Proxy Barracks, No Gas
The Terran is likely doing a proxy Marine rush. Rally both of your Gateways to your main ramp and use your Zealot to deny early Bunker placement. Once the Cybernetics Core completes, constantly produce Stalkers and Shield Batteries as affordable. With good micro, you should be able to hold the rush and transition into a macro game.
Scenario Two: Proxy Barracks, One Gas
The Terran is likely doing a proxy Marauder rush. Rally both of your Gateways to your main ramp and use your Zealot to deny early Bunker placement. Constantly produce Stalkers and Shield Batteries as affordable. Transition to a Robotics Facility for Immortal production as soon as the Terran pulls back. If you're able to hold the rush, an Immortal-based counter-attack is a strong follow-up.
Scenario Three: Proxy Barracks, Two Gas
The Terran is most likely doing a proxy Reaper opening that follows up with a Factory at home and transitions into a macro game. However, they could be doing a more committed all-in, such as a multiple Barracks Reaper cheese or a proxy 1/1/1. Therefore, it's critical that you continue scouting the Terran to see if they're making a Factory at home, as this signals that they're going to transition into a macro game.
If you do see the Terran making a Factory at home, continue with this build as written. Rally your first Gateway to the Reaper jump-up spot and your second Gateway to the Terran's natural. Your first Zealot and Stalker can deny Reaper harassment until your Shield Battery is done, whilst your proxied Stalker can secure the Terran's natural expansion for Shield Battery placement.
If you do not see the Terran making a Factory at home, you will be transitioning out of this build. Rally both of your Gateways to the Reaper jump-up spot. Your first Zealot and Stalker can deny Reaper harassment until your Shield Battery is done, at which point your second Stalker should have come home to help defend. Transition into Adept production from your Gateways whilst building a Stargate for Void Rays. Against a multiple Barracks Reaper cheese, a single Void Ray wins the game. Against a proxy 1/1/1, continue making Void Rays and Adepts until the Terran tries to attack; you should be able to hold their push by shading your Adepts onto the Terran's Marines and using the Void Ray's Prismatic Aligment to clean up any armored support units.
Replays & VODs
|TurkeyDano||TurkeyDano using a variant of this build vs. souL in Nation Wars 5.|
|TurkeyDano||TurkeyDano using a variant of this build vs. Kas in Nation Wars 5.|
- An example of a Void Ray bust being utilised when the Zealot/Stalker/Stalker force wasn't able to secure the Terran's natural.