- This article covers the current multiplayer version of this unit. For other versions see Raven (Heart of the Swarm) and Raven (Wings of Liberty).
The Raven is a flying support craft with detection. It provides both defensive and offensive capabilities through the use of its abilities. The Raven is the spiritual successor to StarCraft: Brood War's Science Vessel.
Ravens are a useful addition to a mid or late-game Terran army. With detection, a Terran player is able to see both cloaked and burrowed units within the Raven's sight range. Allowing them to cast any of their abilities to stop cloaked foes such as Ghosts, Dark Templar and Burrowed Roach Sorties.
Ravens are equipped with an Build Auto-Turret, which creates an automated defense structure with 6 range (upgradable to 7 range with Hi-Sec Auto Tracking) and lasts for 10 seconds after deploying. The range for the Raven to cast this ability is only 1, so using the Raven as a harassment tool is ill-advised. The Auto-Turret deals 18 damage at 0.57 cooldown which adds up to 31.58 DPS. This combined with the Auto-Turret's 150 HP and base 1 armor (upgradable to 3 with Structure Armor) makes the Auto-Turret a very cost-effective ability against small numbers of units. It can also be used to briefly wall off a ramp, because it takes the same amount of space as a supply depot, has a 150 HP, upgradable armor and can be deployed on creep. The Auto-Turret can deal a maximum of 315 damage during it's lifetime, excluding armor.
Ravens second ability is Interference Matrix, this is a long range cast-able missile that disables the enemies abilities and attacks but does not stop movement. The effect lasts for 7.9 seconds and is effective at disabling key units much like BW Ghost's Lockdown. The ability costs 50 energy and is castable at 9 range. The raven will deploy the missile which will then rapidly accelerate towards the enemy, not dodge-able once casted. The ability is most effective when used against units such as Carriers and Mothership or other high priority units (Battlecrusier disables warp and yamato). The ability is also highly effective against the protoss Oracle. The Ability can only be cast against mechanical or psionic units.
The Raven's Third ability is Anti-Armor Missile, which functions similar to the old Seeker Missile. The missile immediately fires forward and pursues it's target rapidly after it locks on. The missile can be dodged by loading the targeted unit into a structure, such as Command Center or Nydus Worm/Canal, and by teleporting abilities, such as Blink and Recall, though it will still detonate where the targeted unit was before dodging it. The Anti-Armor Missile inflicts 15 splash damage in a manner similar to a siege tank's splash in siege mode, targets closer to the epicenter of the explosion are dealt the full damage while enemies farther out are dealt less. As its name implies, the missile also removes 3 armor on all units within the blast radius. The ability costs 75 energy and is castable at 10 range though it's pursuing distance can be extended to 18 range given there is vision (such as through a scanner sweep). Against Zerg the missile if effective at shredding ultralisk based comps as the explosion can cover up to 6-7 closely packed ultralisks. Against Terran the Missile is effective against Battlecruisers and Thors. Against Protoss the missile doesn't affect shield armor so it should be used along with the Ghost EMP round and it is effective against Colossus based armies.
Disables a target unit rendering it unable to attack or use abilities for 7.9 seconds. Reveals Cloaked units. Can only target mechanical and psionic units.
Deploys a Missile which pursues the target unit, dealing 15 splash damage upon contact and reducing armor of affected units by 3 for 21 seconds.
Missile rapidly moves and explodes at the target, causing 30/15/7.5 splash damage in 0.72/1.44/2.88 radius and reducing the armor of affected units by -3 (can make armor negative). Targeted unit lights up red when targeted. Can be fully dodged by teleport abilities and loading units inside structures.
| 150 150 79
|Researched from: Tech Lab
|Increases the Raven's starting energy by 25.
The Terran player uses Ravens to support his push during a TvP on Metalopolis
Ravens are primarily used as mobile detectors
in TvP, providing protection from Dark Templar
, and allowing the Terran
to destroy scouting Observers
to limit the information gathering abilities of the opposing Protoss player. The Raven's Point Defense Drone will block a Tempest's attack and can be used to defend Battlecruisers. The Raven's inability to be used as strong counter to any specific Protoss
unit, and its susceptibility to a High Templar
, limits its uses in TvP.
Raven TvT use is dictated by the opening builds of the two players, and the amount of gas they consume. They are commonly used to defend against early Banshee
harass when paired with a defensive Viking
. Ravens are commonly used with mech based armies facing bio based armies due to Point Defense Drones blocking Marauder attacks. Seeker missiles are also useful at forcing opposing Siege Tanks
to unsiege in a stalemate situation.
Ravens have multiple uses in TvZ. One of the major benefits of Raven usage is its functionality as a mobile Detector
. This allows the Terran player to defend properly against burrowed Banelings
, and Infestors
, limiting the damage the Zerg units can cause.
Ravens can also be a strong counter to Swarm Hosts, since Seeker Missiles have long range and Swarm Hosts burrow in clumps, allowing a few well placed Seeker Missiles to destroy the Swarm Host force, force them to unburrow and retreat, or bruise them badly enough so the Terran force can brute force their way through. Against Swarm Hosts, Ravens are usually paired with Vikings to deal with an air transition more easily.
- Ready for service.
- Scanning battlefield conditions.
- Engineering at your disposal.
- Awaiting orders.
- State your request.
- Logic capacitor, offline.
- Darn, I appear to have Tourette's syndrome.
- Command not recognized.
- Can not comply.
- What are you doing, commander? 
- What have you done for me lately, human?
- I'm sorry, commander, I'm afraid I can't do that.
- Authority override in effect.
- This vessel has assumed control. It has assumed control.
- All your base are belong to us.
- I know I've made some very poor decisions lately, but I can give complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
- Who said anything about cake?
- Job confirmed.
- Order accepted.
- This vessel will comply.
- Command authority registered.
- Systems primed.
- Right away.
- Order acknowledged.
- Under way.
- Auto turret
- Seeker missile
- Point defense drone
- This vessel requires assistance.
Raven's quotes (video and sound) - YouTube video.
| Patch 3.8.0 
- Auto Turret damage increased from 16 to 24.
- The "Research Explosive Shrapnel Shells" upgrade was replaced with the "Research Recalibrated Explosives" upgrade.
- "Research Recalibrated Explosives" upgrade
- Increases the Seeker Missile unit's tracking range by 50% (13 to 19.5).
- Increases the Seeker Missile's damage by 30%.
| Patch 3.14.0 
- Auto-Turret damage reduced from 24 to 18.
- Auto-Turret duration increased from 7.14 to 10.
| Patch 4.0.0 
- Removed Auto-Turret, Point Defense Drone, and Seeker Missile abilities.
- Added Interference Matrix, Repair Drone, and Anti-Armor Missile abilities.
- Interference Matrix:
- Disables a Mechanical or Psionic unit rendering it unable to attack or use abilities for 6 seconds.
- Repair Drone:
- Deploys a drone that automatically repairs nearby friendly mechanical units for 90 seconds.
- Repairs life at 12.6 life per second, drains 1 energy for every 3 life repaired.
- Anti-Armor Missile:
- Deploys a Missile which activates after 2 seconds and pursues the target units, dealing 30 splash damage upon contact and reducing armor of affected units by 3 for 21 seconds.
- New upgrade "Enhanced Munitions":
- Research from Starport Tech Lab
- Cost: 150 Minerals/150 Vespene Gas/79 seconds.
- Increases the Anti-Armor Missile's explosion radius by 20% and its tracking range by 50%.
| Patch 4.1.1 Balance Update
- Anti-Armor Missile lock time reduced from 2.14 to 1.43.
- Anti-Armor Missile energy cost reduced from 125 to 100.
- Interference Matrix range increased from 8 to 9.
- Interference Matrix missile mover speed increased by 50%.
| Patch 4.1.4 Balance Update 
- Interference Matrix duration increased from 5.7 to 7.9.
- Affected units will now display a status bar to show the duration of the ability.
- Repair Drone ability removed.
- Auto Turret ability added.
- Auto Turret cast range reduced from 3 to 1.
- Hi-Sec Auto Tracking increases the range of Auto Turrets by +1 again.
- Anti-Armor Missile
- Anti-Armor Missile will no longer have a delay and will fly immediately towards the target.
- Splash radius increased from 2.4 to 2.88.
- Splash damage changed:
- 100% damage radius increased from 0.6 to 0.72.
- 50% damage radius increased from 1.2 to 1.44.
- 25% damage radius increased from 2.4 to 2.88.
- Energy cost reduced from 100 to 75.
- Enhanced Munitions upgrade removed.
| Patch 4.3.0 Balance Update
- Anti-Armor Missile initial and splash damage reduced from 30 to 15.
- Auto-Turret cast range increased from 1 to 2.