- This article covers the current multiplayer version of this add-on building. For another version see Reactor (Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm).
The Reactor is an add-on that can be attached to a Barracks, Factory or a Starport to allow building two units simultaneously from that building. The Reactor also increases the size of the build queue of the attached building to 8.
Exchanging the building attached to a Reactor can be essential for tech swaps or early mass unit production. As an example consider a tech switch from Vikings: Say you have built two early Starports with a Reactor to harass Overlords against Zerg but want to transition into a bio army. You can move a Starport off the Reactor and build a new Barracks next to the free Reactor for a faster transition for unit production. From here you could build a Tech Lab on the free Starport and get some Ravens.
Effect on buildings
You can build two Marines/Reapers at a time.
You can build two Hellions/Widow Mines/Cyclones/Hellbats at a time.
You can build two Medivacs/Vikings/Liberators at a time.
- When a Reactor is destroyed while two units are building, the construction of one will finish as normal but construction of the other will be delayed until the first is finished
- Also when a Reactor is destroyed while having more than 5 units in queue, the queue will be automatically shortened to 5 units, giving you resources back for the 6th, 7th and 8th unit in the queue.
|Patch 2 (version 0.4.0.14133)
- The build time was decreased from 40 to 25.
|Patch 6 (version 0.8.0.14593)
- Build time increased from 25 seconds to 50 seconds.