Kim "SaSe" Hammar is a Protoss player from Sweden, who is currently teamless. He is a former high level Warcraft III player, one of few European gamers who lived and played Warcraft III professionally in China.
SaSe is known for his very unique style of play and for his micro abilities. He rarely takes off probes from mining to build something - instead he rallies probes from his nexus to the destination of the new building. Also, he gets two geysers early in the game in all matchups, but only uses two probes for each geyser early in the game to get a small gain in gas without taking too many probes off mining minerals.
Wings of Liberty
|This section is not sorted chronologically and is difficult to navigate.|
You can help Liquipedia by fixing it.
- SaSe's sign-on statement:
"I am very happy to find such a great team as MYM so quickly. With their support from both players and sponsors I hope I can improve my skill a lot. It's very nice to have both oldschool BW players and WC3 players mixed since we look at the game differently."
In the weeks following his comeback announcement, SaSe managed to take second in SK Gaming's Champions Trophy and reached the semifinals of Zotac Cup #41 and #43. He also posted positive results in the SteelSeries StarCraft 2 Challenge at Assembly Winter 2011, making it out of the group stage before being knocked out 1-2 by Ret, who went on to win the tournament.
In June, SaSe participated in DreamHack Summer 2011, where he came out of his group undefeated, beating IdrA, Naama and Kas. He was then knocked out in the Round of 16 by the Taiwanese Zerg player Sen. A few days later, SaSe repeated the same pattern in HomeStory Cup III: he finished first in his group with victories over Jinro, NightEnD and MoMaN, but was immediately eliminated from the main bracket by XlorD.
SaSe won a major tournament for the first time in July 2011, the Grubby's Starcraft II Series Pro Invitational #1. In this tournament, he finally proved himself able to defeat major Zerg players by knocking out Stephano 2-0 in the semifinals.
SaSe's made his debut in Korea with his participation in GSL August in Code A. He was knocked out 0-2 in the first round by Sniper, a relatively unknown Zerg player at the time. He played in GSL October as well due to his success in CPL. There, he was knocked out 1-2 by FruitDealer in the first round.
- SaSe's statement:
“After too long of a time without a team I have finally found one. Quantic approached me in a very professional way like no other team has ever done before. After days of meetings and discussions we finally agreed on a contract. I am so excited about this team and the best part is that I am just the first step of what is to come! I would like to thank Ben and Nicholas for spotting me. Also a huge thanks to Mark for being the coolest CEO I have spoken to when it comes to gaming! Quantic Gaming fighting!”
ESV TV Korean Weekly
On February 9, 2012, SaSe participated in the ESV TV Korean Weekly Season 2 Weekly 3. After taking down Messiah, Symbol, Revival, and Hack, TAiLS advanced in to the finals to face SaSe. He wasn't able to grab first place after he lost to TAiLS by a score of 1-4 and had to settle for second place.
IPL Season 4
On November 20, 2011, SaSe participated in the IPL 4 United Kingdom Qualifiers. SaSe started off from the round of 32 and defeated Settler, Adelscott, TAiLS, Ryung and then advanced in to the finals to face Stephano. He fell to Stephano by a score of 0-2 and fell in to the losers' bracket. In the losers' bracket, SaSe wasn't able to grab anymore victories and allowed TAiLS to grab revenge against him by losing to TAiLS by a score of 1-2 and ended up taking third plcae.
SaSe made his first appearance in MLG at Orlando on October 2011. He came out of the open brackets undefeated, knocking-out HasuObs and his compatriot and former MLG Champion Jinro. He did well in group stage, only losing to PuMa and defeating the reigning MLG champion, Bomber. He then faced BoxeR in the main bracket, and was eliminated in a tense series. His performance in MLG guaranteed him a Code A spot in the GSL. His subsequent participation in 2011 GSL November eventually led him to drop 2011 MLG Providence, because of scheduling conflict.
After playing DreamHack Winter 2011 and taking a small vacation back in Sweden, SaSe flew to China to participate in the G-League Season 3, for which he had qualified a few months earlier. He managed to finish second in his group. He faced XiGua in the semifinals and lost 2-3.
SaSe's first premier tournament in 2012 would be the MLG 2012 Winter Arena. He was knocked out from the winners bracket in the first round, in arguably his worst match-up PvZ, by Sheth. In the loser bracket he beat South Korean Protoss San 2-1, but then got another PvZ against DongRaeGu which he lost 0-2, and was knocked out of the tournament. He did however play consolation matches for 17-24th place, where he did well but lost in the final to HayprO, and so ending on 18th place in the tournament.
A few days later the three Protoss players SaSe, NaNiwa and PartinG left the StarTale house and set sail for America and the Red Bull LAN 1, where they were to practice for the upcoming MLG 2012 Winter Championship. Apart from practicing, a small tournament was also played at the LAN. SaSe impressed in all match-ups, as he took down PuMa, Sheth and JYP before falling in the final to Ret, the same player who had also knocked out SaSe's travelling buddies NaNiwa and PartinG.
As the MLG Winter Championship approached, the two South Korean Zerg NesTea and Leenock had to cancel their participation. Hence the players ranked 17th and 18th from the Winter Arena were given a seed into the pool play, ultimately putting SaSe in a group with the three South Koreans MarineKing, GanZi and MC. He went 2-3 in this group (beating GanZi and ThorZaIN), placing in 5th in the group and was then seeded into the 3rd round of the loser's bracket against SeleCT. He beat SeleCT, then HayprO (both 2-0), but eventually fell to viOLet 0-2 in the 5th round, which got him into the lowest prize winning bracket.
At the MLG Spring Championship SaSe entered into the open bracket and made his way up from the first round beating Beastyqt, Ostojiy, and Sleep to get into group play. This time his group had four South Koreans DRG, Oz, MC, and Heart and he again went 2-3 (beating Heart and the only other foreigner, Socke). He was seeded again into the 3rd round and started an amazing run beating viOLet, Rain, Grubby, Leenock, Polt, and Stephano, before finally falling to Alicia 1-2 in the 4th place match. This 4th place finish was his best finish in a major tournament up to this point.
- Achieved Grand Master ranking on the Korean server.
- Former high level Warcraft III Night Elf player.
- Ranked #1 among Swedish Warcraft III players in terms of prize money won during 2007 and 2008.
- Played a big part in popularizing Sentry drops, using them heavily in all match-ups, but mainly PvZ.[Citation needed]
- Has recently been doing a lot of Immortal drops, in PvP against San in the MLG 2012 Winter Arena and in both PvZ and PvP on his stream.[Citation needed]
- A very audible fan of SaSe was named "The Cheer Cannon" by Day during MLG Orlando. She could also be heard during Red Bull Battlegrounds.
|In Premier tournaments|
|2012-06-10||4th||2012 MLG Spring Championship||1 : 2||Alicia||$5,500|
|In Major tournaments|
|2013-11-10||2nd||Taiwan eSports League 2013-2014 Season 1||1 : 4||Sen||$2,373|
|2013-08-03||4th||CPL Championship 2013||1 : 2||ToD||$0|
|2012-11-03||1st||IEF 2012||2 : 1||TooDming||$10,000|
|2012-10-27||4th||World e-Sports Masters 2012||1 : 2||aLive||$2,000|
|2012-01-07||3 - 4th||G-League 2011 Season 3||2 : 3||XiGua||$1,550|
|2011-11-20||3rd||IGN ProLeague Season 4 UK Qualifier||1 : 2||TAiLS||$2,000|
|2011-08-07||2nd||CPL Invitational 2011||0 : 3||MarineKing||$1,600|
|2011-04-23||2nd||The Gathering Easter 2011||2 : 4||SjoW||$1,861.50|
|In Minor and Monthly tournaments|
|2012-03-19||2nd||Red Bull LAN||0 : 3||Ret||$600|
|2011-07-23||1st||Grubby's Starcraft II Series Pro Invitational||2 : 0||Kas||$717.90|
|Complete Results in any Tournament|
|In Premier Team Leagues|
|2011-12-08||IPL Team Arena Challenge 1||All Kill of Team Liquid|
|Complete Results in any Tournament|
- 2013-07-16 | Life of SaSe: Episode 2 by cArn of Fnatic
- 2013-07-03 | Life of SaSe: Episode 1 by cArn of Fnatic
- 2013-06-30 | Sase shares thoughts on Protoss and the MLG Open Bracket by Slasher of Gamespot.com at 2013 MLG Spring Championship
- 2013-01-31 | An Interview with SaSe by Team Dignitas
- 2012-07-08 | SaSe interview about Korean culture, MLG success and more by Definitive eSports at HomeStory Cup V
- 2012-07-01 | xVixen Gets Personal: W/ Quantic SaSe by xvixen
- 2012-06-03 | SaSe at the Red Bull Battlegrounds by viOLet of Cyber Sports Network
- 2011-10-10 | Interview with QxGSaSe by Axeltoss
- 2011-08-22 | Interview with SaSe by Zatic of TeamLiquid.net at IEM Cologne 2011
- 2011-08-15 | SaSe Interviewed After Bomber Match by AskJoshy of Complexity Gaming at MLG Orlando 2011
- 2011-08-10 | GSL Foreigners Fighting! by WaxAngel of TeamLiquid.net
- 2011-02-12 | The return of SaSe by Rakaka.se
Matches & VODs
- Satiini vs SaSe SK Gamings Champions Trophy, December 2010
- SaSe vs Artist MLG Pro Circuit Winter, North American Qualifier, Loser Bracket round 8, February 2012
- SaSe vs DIMAGA HomeStory Cup V, round of 16, July 2012
First Person View Match VODS
- Battle Net profile and Ranking page for his European server account.
- SaSe's WC3 profile at GosuGamers.net.
- MYM recruits SaSe, XlorD, and Mondragon
- MYM reinforces Starcraft II
- Announcement of the departure of SaSe
- SaSe not attending MLG Providence
- imgur.com picture of promotion
- SK-Gaming.com Player profile
- SaSe player info page sk-gaming.com
- "The Cheer Cannon" @MLG Orlando 2011