Scorched Haven is a 2v2 map released with the second map-pack for the StarCraft II beta. The Blizzard description is as follows:
Official Map Description
Defend the choke that leads into your team's bases. Use the different elevations of terrain as well as the Xel'naga Watch Towers when going on the offensive. Two rich mineral expansions lie contested on the center low ground.
- Similar to Monlyth Ridge, Scorched Haven has two main land bases, arching over the low-ground natural expansions.
- This map boasts narrow ramps for easy walling.
- Each team only has one 'easy' third expansion (at the 11 o'clock and 5 o'clock position of the map).
- The high-yield expansions are very difficult to take and hold, as they are both on the low ground and very close to each other.
- Xel'Naga watchtowers at the 12 and 6 o'clock position of the map reveal the 12 and 6 o'clock side expansions, but not the main path of attack.
Like a few other maps, there is also a novice version of Scorched Haven. The main differences are outlined below:
- Destructible rocks guard the corner expansions
- A chasm replaces the line-of-sight blockers directly above and below the high-yield expansions, and destructible rocks block off both entrances to the high-yield expansion area.
- Destructible rocks block one side from the 'third expansions' at the top and bottom, encouraging the right-hand team to expand below and the left-hand team to expand above.
- The general effect of these differences is to protect both sides until later in the game, as most attacks must either involve air units or rock destruction.