Splash Damage is any form of damage unintentionally dealt to a unit not being directly targeted by the enemy. The purpose of splash damage is to take advantage of the tight proximity of enemy units and to eliminate more units in fewer attack cycles. Only specific units are capable of dealing splash damage. Splash damage can be divided into several kinds:
- Attacks (and one ability, Tactical Nuke) that deal less damage in a circular area with distance from the centre of the attack, e.g. Siege Tank.
- Attacks or spells that deal equal damage or have equal effect in their whole area of effect (AoE), e.g. Psi Storm, EMP Round.
- Special splash damage, e.g. the Colossus, which splashes in a line perpendicular to the attack, or the Hellbat, which splashes in an arc on either side of the target.
- Siege Tank (Siege Mode): Circular splash attack
- Planetary Fortress (Building): Circular splash attack
- Ghost (Tac Nuke Strike): Circular splash ability
- Thor (Explosive Payload Air Attack): AoE attack
- Liberator (Anti-Air Attack): AoE attack
- Ghost (EMP Round): AoE spell
- Raven (Anti-Armor Missile): AoE spell
- Hellion: deals full damage in a line towards (and beyond) its target
- Hellbat: deals full damage in an arc on either side of the target
- Widow Mine (Sentinel Missiles): deals full damage to its target, and less in a circle around it
- Archon: Circular splash attack
- High Templar (Psionic Storm): AoE spell
- Disruptor: AoE ability
- Colossus: deals full damage in a line perpendicular to its attack, centred on its target
- Baneling: AoE attack
- Infestor (Fungal Growth): AoE spell
- Viper (Parasitic Bomb): AoE spell
- Ravager (Corrosive Bile): AoE ability
- Mutalisk: deals less damage to two subsequent enemies.
- Ultralisk: deals less damage in a semi-circle facing its target.
- Lurker: deals full damage in a line towards its target, but each subsequent spine is delayed.
Some sources of splash damage will hurt all units in the splash damage area, including friendly units. Units that deal friendly fire splash damage are listed below: