The Stimpack ability increases movement speed and firing rate by 50% at the cost of 10 HP for a Marine or 20 HP for a Marauder. This effect wears off after 11 seconds. Note that while casting stimpack again when it is already in effect will not further increase firing rate or movement speed, it will however refresh the effect's duration at the cost of additional health loss.
The Stimpack ability is perhaps the most important upgrade one can research for a Terran bio army. The loss of 10/20 hp per unit is negligible compared to the immense advantage of superior damage output. The speed also allows units to form a concave faster which further increases the firepower. As a general rule, you'll want to stim just prior to engaging in any battle, but the ability has many situational uses.
1) Stimming for power - Besides using it in a battle, stim is useful to ward off harassing enemy air units. Do not do this prematurely, as enemy air units such as Mutalisks will sometimes simply fly towards you and retreat once you have stimmed, costing your units health at no damage to the enemy. Stim is also used to speed up the removal of destructible rocks.
2) Stimming for speed - If your infantry has a long way to go and you have Medivacs available, stim can be used to speed up your army. This is important in critical situations such as a surprise timing push or an enemy drop in your base. Stim is also useful for sniping off retreating units. The speed is particularly effective in conjunction with Marauders and Concussive Shells since your retreating opponent will also be slowed.
In Combination with Other Spells
- By utilizing Stimpack in conjunction with Heal from the Medivac, the stim ability can be used more often since the health cost is countered. However, it is important to balance the use of stim with the amount of energy that the Medivacs have on reserve. Depending on how many Medivacs you have, if you overuse stim you will not have any energy left for healing during a larger battle.
- Researching Combat Shield adds +10 HP to Marines, this effectively negates the 10 HP loss when using Stimpack.
- When used, a green lightning bolt will flash over the stimmed units. When the Stimpack buff ends, a red lightning bolt will appear.
- You can never kill the unit itself by using Stimpack
|Patch 13 (version 0.15.0.15449)
|Patch 4.10.1 Balance Update
- Blizzard Entertainment (21 August 2019). "STARCRAFT II 4.10.1 Balance Updates". Battle.net.