Swarm Host (Legacy of the Void)
- This article covers the current multiplayer version of this unit. For other versions see Swarm Host (Heart of the Swarm) and Swarm Host (Heart of the Swarm Campaign).
The Swarm Host is a Zerg siege unit that requires an Infestation Pit. It attacks in the form of spawning a pair of Locusts with an activated ability. The Locusts are slow-moving ground-to-ground units with a timed life that nonetheless extend the range of the Swarm Host beyond that of any other unit. Although the Locusts spawn as flying units, they are unable to attack in the air. They are able to fly over terrain and use the Swoop ability to land and begin their attack.
Spawn Locusts: Births 2 Locusts which deal damage instead of the Swarm Host. Locusts last 18 seconds and the Spawn ability has a 43-second cooldown. This is a manually activated ability and the direction the Locusts move after spawning is controlled by the player.
Spawn Locusts can be used while burrowed or above ground. Burrow must be researched before the Swarm Host can use it.
It is common to pair Swarm Hosts with Nydus Worms by having them exit a Nydus deployed near an enemy base only long enough to spawn the Locusts, and then escape via the Nydus.
A strategy that has seen some play against Terran is the deployment of a small Swarm Host hit squad (usually four) that snipes the Terran's add-ons or harasses the enemy worker line. These Swarm Hosts may be paired with a Nydus Worm or Overlords to allow them to escape sticky situations.
Because the Zerg vs Zerg match-up is mostly about Roach wars (which consists of trading and counter-attacking), there is little use for the immobile and expensive Swarm Host, since a group of Roaches can do what it does but better. When besieging an opponent (say, attacking a wall of Spine Crawlers and Lurkers), Swarm Hosts are usually inferior to Vipers and Ravagers which are more mobile, powerful and practical. Roaches can generally just dodge the Locust wave and attack while it is on cooldown if Swarm Hosts are used aggressively.
|Patch 2.5.1 Balance Update #1 |
|Patch 3.3.0 Balance Update |
|Patch 3.8.0 |
|Patch 4.0.0 |
- Blizzard Entertainment (28 April 2015). "Legacy of the Void Beta Balance Update -- April 28, 2015". Battle.net.
- Blizzard Entertainment (23 May 2016). "Legacy of the Void Balance Update -- May 23, 2016". Battle.net.
- Blizzard Entertainment (22 November 2016). "Legacy of the Void - Patch 3.8.0 -- November 22, 2016". Battle.net.
- Blizzard Entertainment (14 November 2017). "STARCRAFT II 4.0 PATCH NOTES". Battle.net.