Swarm Host (Legacy of the Void)
- This article covers the current multiplayer version of this unit. For other versions see Swarm Host (Heart of the Swarm) and Swarm Host (Heart of the Swarm Campaign).
The Swarm Host is a Zerg siege unit that requires an Infestation Pit. It attacks in the form of waves of two Locusts that spawn with a manually cast ability. The Locusts are slow moving ground-to-ground units with a timed life that nonetheless extend the range of the Swarm Host beyond that of any other unit. The Locusts are able to spawn as flying units. While unable to attack in the air, the locusts are able to fly over terrain and use the Swoop ability to land and once again attack targets.
Spawn Locusts: Births 2 Locusts which deal damage instead of the Swarm Host. Locusts last 18 seconds but the Spawn ability has a 43-second cooldown. This is a manually activated ability and the direction the locusts move after use is controlled by the player.
Spawn Locusts can be used while burrowed or above ground. Burrow must be researched before the Swarm Host is able to burrow.
A strategy that has seen some light against Terran is the use of a small Swarm Host hit squad (usually four) that snipes the players add-ons or harasses the enemy worker line. These Swarm Hosts can be paired with a Nydus Worm or Overlords to allow them to escape sticky situations.
Because the Zerg vs Zerg match-up is mostly about roach wars (which is trading and counter-attacking), there is little use for the immobile and expensive Swarm Host, for a group of roaches can do what it does but better. In the case where siege is needed (say, versus a wall of Spine Crawlers and Lurkers), Swarm Hosts are usually secondary to Vipers and Ravagers who are more mobile, powerful and practical units. Roaches can generally just dodge the locust and attack while it is on cooldown if it is used aggressively.
|Patch 2.5.1 Balance Update #1 |
|Patch 3.3.0 Balance Update |
|Patch 3.8.0 |
|Patch 4.0.0 |
- Blizzard Entertainment (28 April 2015). "Legacy of the Void Beta Balance Update -- April 28, 2015". Battle.net.
- Blizzard Entertainment (23 May 2016). "Legacy of the Void Balance Update -- May 23, 2016". Battle.net.
- Blizzard Entertainment (22 November 2016). "Legacy of the Void - Patch 3.8.0 -- November 22, 2016". Battle.net.
- Blizzard Entertainment (14 November 2017). "STARCRAFT II 4.0 PATCH NOTES". Battle.net.