Terminus is a four-player map originally released with the launch of SC2 and intended for 1v1 play.
Gisado modified the Blizzard map for competitive play, adding natural expansions. This version, named Terminus G, was then remade by LSPrime as Terminus RE for the GSL Team League, after which it entered the GSL and TSL map pools. The modified version Terminus SE appeared in the GSTL2.
The original map was rarely used in competitive play.
Official Blizzard Map Description
The Terminus space platform is vast and open to attack, but you can secure control over the area by making effective use of the Xel'Naga Towers.
- The layout of Terminus allows for a very easy third base encouraging macro games featuring big battles in the center.
- In the ladder edition, the choke leading to the natural is very large and it is the only entrance to all three bases. Recent tournament editions of this map include a second entrance to the third base blocked by destructible rocks.
- The third base has only 6 mineral fields and one rich gas geyser.
- The layout of the map places each player's natural expansions in counter-clockwise direction from their spawn. Hence, when players spawn in adjacent positions, the player in the clockwise position will be expanding toward their opponent. This makes their expansions vulnerable to quick drops or air play.
Gisado (Korean GSL Commentator) modified the original Terminus map first by adding natural expo was called Terminus G, this came to be the predecessor to Terminus Re.
- Added natural expo.
Gisado found play on his modified map interesting but felt too inexperienced with the map editor to make his ideas justice. He therefore decided to ask LSPrime for help revising it. LSPrime's version came to be called Terminus RE, RE standing for "Remake". It made its GSL debut in GSTL1 and is as of July 2011 still in use despite its successor having been around since march.
- Island expansion is remade into a second natural.
- There is a lowered neutral supply depot at the bottom of each main base ramp to prevent barracks block on lowground or a double bunker block.
- The third base has only one geyser. It is a rich geyser which returns 6 gas instead of the usual 4.
- The third base has only one entrance and is easy defendable.
Terminus RE's successor, Terminus SE, appeared in GSTL2.
- A second entrance to the third base has been added; a wide ramp blocked by destructible debris leads to the center of the map.
Map Version Images