|August 4, 2021 - 14:00 UTC|
Xiang "XY" Yao is a Chinese StarCraft II Terran player who plays for Invictus Gaming.
XY is a former Brood War player who played under the id "AyGj" (暗夜公爵, An Ye Gong Jue, means Dark Duke; also thought to be 奥运冠军, Ao Yun Guan Jun, which means the Olympic champion) as Zerg,  He joined Invictus Gaming On October 9, 2011. XY means his full name - Xiang Yao. He is also known as his old id on ladder "半个菜鸟" (Ban Ge Cai Niao, meaning "Half A Noob")and nicknamed as "鸟哥" (Niao Ge).
Wings of Liberty
XY was a member of Invictus Gaming when it represented China in the Asia StarCraft II Invitational Tournament, where he went 2-3.
From July 2 to July 15, 2012, XY participated in the World Championship Series 2012 China. XY started off in the winners' bracket. XY defeated Turbo, Pigeon, and F91, in order to advance in to the fourth round to face Top. He lost to Top by a score of 0-2 and fell in to the losers' bracket. In the losers' bracket, XY took down MacSed and advanced in to the finals bracket. In the finals bracket, XY met more misfortune and lost to TooDming by a score of 1-2 and ended up in fourth place.
Heart of the Swarm
As one of his first major events in Heart of the Swarm, XY participated in the WCS AM Challenger Open Qualifiers. He managed to make his way through the single elimination bracket, including wins over Slaughter and infi to qualify for the Invite Only Qualifiers. There he lost his first match to Center, but beat desRow, TBo, and hendralisk to qualify for Challenger League.
XY was placed in bracket 8 of WCS America 2013 Season 1 Challenger League. His first opponent, who he faced on May 16, was hellokitty who had dropped down from the Premier League. XY took the series 2-1, and advanced to the next round, where he faced DeMusliM. Although he won the first map, he lost two consecutive and was knocked into the Group Stage. Since he was placed in a group with IdrA who had recently retired from professional play, a single win over Capoch was enough to qualify him for the Season 2 Premier League.
XY was placed in Group B in the Round of 32 of WCS America 2013 Season 2 Premier League, where he defeated mOOnGLaDe in the first match 2-1, then lost to TaeJa 0-2, and Polt 0-2 and was subsequently dropped to the first round of Challenger League. His Round of 40 match against Heart was disrupted due to a Starcraft II Patch, and since XY was unable to reschedule, he defaulted and dropped to the group stage. Consecutive 0-2 losses to Sage and Snute resulted in XY dropping out of WCS America.
In 2015, he entered WCS Challenger twice in Season 1 and Season 3 but was defeated both times by iAsonu, 3-2 and 3-0 respectively. At IEM Season X - Shenzhen, he reached the playoffs, yet was swept 0-3 by herO in the quarterfinals.
Legacy of the Void
As a 29-year-old player, he went abroad for the first time to participate in 2016 WCS Spring Circuit Championship. He lost 2-3 to Elazer in Round of 32, but he still proved himself to fans, and there were highlights such as his unique unsieged tanks based composition against ultralisks.
- He is usually referred to as 鸟哥 (brother bird) by Chinese fans because of his previous id 半个菜鸟 (half a noob)
- He is called "午夜人皇" (mid-night Terran emperor) because his exceptional performances after mid-night. The title was first earned in 2016_WCS_Spring_Regional_Challengers/China. The qualifier was double-elimination format and lasted until 2AM. XY lost in the first round, but managed to win all subsequent matches in the losers' bracket, when his opponents got tired and played worse after mid-night but XY only seemed to get better, until he finally got the champion. Since then it became a meme among Chinese fans that he only "opens his eyes" and shows his true power after mid-night.
- He is often made fun of for whatever reason when he commentates together with other progamers such as Cloudy. Such behavior is called 辱鸟(humiliating bird), usually written in its homophone 乳鸟(Suckling bird) and is widely loved among Chinese fans.
- There is an "<XYFans>" clan on KR server started by TIME, which includes some progamers.
- When commentating, XY likes analyzing players' performance using his own "mindset-theory", where a player with a "mindset of the strong" would prefer defensing to avoid risk, and a player with a "mindset of the weak" would prefer aggression. There's also wildcards such as a strong player could also choose a "mindset of the king" to play aggressive and gain advantage.
|Complete Results in any Tournament|
|In Premier tournaments|
|2017-12-30||1st||NEO Star League 2017||3 : 1||$1,475.04|
|2017-06-04||1st||NEO Star League 2016||3 : 2||$2,418.86|
|In Major tournaments|
|2015-12-27||2nd||Starcraft League 2015||2 : 3||$457.14|
|2012-07-21||3rd||Asia StarCraft II Invitational Tournament||5 : 5||$666.67|
|In Minor tournaments|
|2014-06-15||1st||Esports Champion League 2014: Spring||3 : 2||$690.19|
|In Premier/Major Team Leagues|
|2013-03-23||ATC: US/KR Qualifiers||All Kill of Team .SCA Academy|
|Complete Results in any Tournament|
Matches & VODs
First Person View Match VODS
|as||479 - 396||54.7 %||258 - 192||57.3 %||471 - 430||52.3 %||47 - 3||94 %||1255 - 1021||55.1 %|
|as||0 - 0||-||1 - 0||100 %||0 - 0||-||0 - 0||-||1 - 0||100 %|
|as||0 - 0||-||0 - 0||-||0 - 0||-||1 - 2||33.3 %||1 - 2||33.3 %|