Dread Lords are incredibly powerful demons who wield the powers of darkness and mental domination. These cunning, malefic beings once served as the demon Kil'jaeden's most trusted lieutenants. Yet, at Kil'jaeden's request, the vampiric Dread Lords were sent to watch over the Lich King Ner'zhul, and ensure that he carried out his orders to sow chaos in the mortal world. Though Dread Lords have been known to revel in the gore of single combat, they generally prefer to manipulate and beguile their enemies from the shadows.
The Dread Lord is a powerful and popular Hero. Typically most Undead players pick the Dread Lord as their first Hero followed by the Death Knight or Lich. All of his abilities are especially useful. The main reason players pick the Dread Lord first is for Sleep, which is useful against enemy Hero rushes and for disabling powerful Creeps for the early Creeping part of the game. The Vampiric Aura also heals Ghouls when they attack the Creeps and enemy units that do not have Spell Immunity. Vampiric Aura is very useful in team games. Carrion Swarm can be used to damage collections of units. Inferno is helpful for clearing trees and for summoning the powerful Infernal. Inferno can also be used to break the spell channeling of enemy Heroes.
While the Dread Lord has a melee attack he isn't the best melee fighter. It's better to keep the Dread Lord away from combat when facing large opposition. Also, be sure to run away if attacked. It's best to give caster items to the Dread Lord rather than melee items but melee items can help.
- Carrion Swarm can cause great damage to enemy units, especially low hit point units such as ranged units and casters. While many players prefer Sleep, Sleep can only put an enemy unit out of action for a limited time. Also enemy players can just wake up their unit that has been slept. Carrion Swarm on the other hand can noticeably take a large chunk out of the enemy.
- Carrion Swarm is also useful if another allied Dread Lord in the game is using Vampiric Aura. That frees up some points you can place in Carrion Swarm since they already have Vampiric Aura covered.
- Carrion Swarm does not hit wards.
- Sleep is an incredibly powerful spell. Good use of Sleep can help determine the outcome of the game. Use Sleep on enemy Heroes to put them out of action. Use Sleep on Heroes that are attempting to run away. Surround them with your Ghouls or Abominations then attack them once they are trapped. Cast Sleep on the most powerful enemy units to take them out of the battle. This can often turn the tide of the battle in your favor. Cast Sleep on the most powerful Creeps before attacking them. You can cast Sleep again on the enemy after they have awoken. This is truly one of the most annoying spells to the enemy. This spell is even more powerful with multiple allied Dread Lords. They can put a whole army to sleep!
- Use Sleep on Heroes trying to cast spells that must be maintained such as Blizzard, Death and Decay, Tranquility, Starfall, and Earthquake. This will stop the enemy from casting these spells.
- The Vampiric Aura works very well with Ghouls. The Vampiric Aura is especially useful in large team games with allied Grunts, Footmen, Knights, Tauren, and Bears. Be reminded that Vampiric Aura doesn't work with ranged units so it's not useful with Crypt Fiends or any other ranged units.
- Inferno is an awesome ultimate ability since you gain control of an Infernal. Infernals have permanent Immolation and do Chaos damage which allows them to do full damage to all armor types including buildings!
- Inferno is useful for clearing trees. Cast it on a section of trees you wish to Clear.
- Inferno is useful for casting on an enemy army. It's a great way to spawn in the Infernal because enemy units in the area of effect take damage and are stunned when Infernal lands.
- Inferno can be used to interrupt spells that must be channeled.
|Balance Patch History|
|Patch Version||Balance Changes|
|1.29.0|| Dreadlord himself gets an +5% bonus from Vampiric Aura, from 15/30/45% to 20/35/50%.|
Dreadlord's movement speed increased from 270 to 290.
Carrion Swarm mana cost reduced from 110 to 100.
Carrion Swarm can now target mechanical units.
Sleep mana cost reduced from 100/75/50 to 80/65/50.
Sleep duration decreased from 20/40/60 to 15/35/55 on units, and 5/10/15 to 4/8/12 on heroes. Cooldown reduced from 6s to 4s.
|1.17|| Line damage spells such as Shockwave, Carrion Swarm, Breath of Fire, and Breath of Frost no longer damage a targeted friendly unit.|
|1.10|| Carrion Swarm max damage reduced to 300/600/1000 from 375/700/1000 and damage per target reduced to 75/125/200 from 100/150/200.|
|1.06|| Carrion Swarm max damage increased to 375/700/1000 from 300/550/800.|
Carrion Swarm no longer hits wards.
|1.04||Sleep duration decreased on Hero units to 5/10/15 from 10/20/30.|
- 2019-06-27 | Dread Lord First - Strategy Overview by RehcraM of Warcraft3.info