Grubby is a Dutch professional PC gamer. He has been competing in eSports in the real-time strategy games Warcraft III and Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne as well as Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm. As an Orc player in Warcraft, Schenkhuizen has won more than 38 LAN tournaments, of which 6 are World Championships, which has led to him being known as the King of Orcs even after his transition to StarCraft II. Grubby has been known for being part of one of the most successful WC3 teams in history, namely the British 4Kings. Later teams include the Danish MeetYourMakers and the North American Evil Geniuses. Grubby enjoys a large fan base throughout the world and especially in China, one of the hotbeds of Warcraft. He's sometimes characterized as being not one of the fastest players, but one that compensates with smart and effective play styles.
Grubby's first experience playing computer games was at around age three or four giving him an early start in gaming. Grubby's first experience with an RTS game was with Populous 2, released in 1991, where you play a god guiding your subjects. He continued to play many games such as StarCraft I, including Brood War, before moving to the Warcraft III competitive scene. His first competition was in 2003 at age 17, at a LAN party of around 1000 people. The Warcraft III competition consisted entirely of Dutch players except the Danish player playing for Grubby's future team, MYM, Bjarke. Grubby made it to the finals to meet MYM]Bjarke and compete for the €200 prize. Grubby ended up winning the competition and taking the prize before becoming a progamer at age 18.
His Warcraft career included a famous rivalry with Moon, and within that, two of his most famous victories. First was a 3-1 upset of Moon at the World E-Sports Games in Hangzhou in 2006 that was Moon's first defeat in 29 matches in the Night Elf vs. Orc matchup and led to Chinese fans rushing the stage to congratulate him. Then came his second WCG championship in 2008 in Cologne, where he bested Moon in three games. In August 2013, The Daily Dot listed him as one of the 10 greatest players in eSports history alongside the likes of Boxer, Moon and Flash.
Grubby met his wife, Cassandra Ng Schenkhuizen, at WCG 2005, where he played WC3 and finished third. At BlizzCon 2009, he proposed to her on-stage after the award ceremony, and they subsequently married in May 2010. Cassandra currently works as Grubby's manager and supports him in his career.
- His name comes from when he played Dungeons and Dragons with his older brothers. Originally "Grubtor Steelheart", he was given the nickname "Grubby" when playing with others over the internet, later he kept the nickname replacing his original. At the time he wasn't aware of the English meaning of the word and claims to be unsure as to whether he would have kept it had he known at the time.
- He played Protoss in Starcraft II.
- He was a Heroes of the Storm caster.
- Has ranked in the top 10 Warcraft III players in terms of winnings each year since 2004.
- Featured in the film "Beyond the Game", which covered his Warcraft rivalry with Sky.
|InGame Warcraft Cup||8||0||$3,327|
|2010-08-14||1st||Tier 1||World e-Sports Games: e-Stars 2010 Continental Cup||3 : 1||$7,600|
|2009-12-19||1st||Tier 1||World e-Sports Masters 2009||2 : 1||Moon||$14,000|
|2009-08-23||2nd||Tier 1||BlizzCon 2009||1 : 2||Lyn||$10,000|
|2009-07-26||1st||Tier 1||World e-Sports Games: e-Stars 2009 King of the Game||3 : 0||Lyn||$5,617|
|2008-11-09||1st||Tier 1||World Cyber Games 2008||2 : 1||Moon||$19,000|
|2006-12-10||1st||Tier 1||World Series of Video Games 2006||2 : 0||Sweet||$20,000|
|2005-10-29||1st||Tier 1||BlizzCon 2005||2 : 0||Zacard||$10,000|
|2005-07-10||1st||Tier 1||Electronic Sports World Cup 2005||2 : 0||Deadman||$13,000|
|2004-10-10||1st||Tier 1||World Cyber Games 2004||2 : 1||Zacard||$25,000|
|2004-01-12||1st||Tier 1||Cyber X Gaming||2 : 0||Wizard||$10,000|
|About achievementsComplete Results in any Tournament|
- 2019-01-20 | Community Spotlight: An interview with Grubby by sTx of Warcraft3.info
- 2018-12-04 | An interview with Manuel “Grubby” Schenkhuizen for current meta game on Warcraft III by Healer_BKnight of GamerBraves.com (trans.  by Izzard)
- 2015-08-08 | Grubby Interview Part 1: Moon is one of the most trusting people I have ever met by Remo of Back2Warcraft
- 2015-08-08 | Grubby Interview Part 2: Practicing together is kind of like dating by Remo of Back2Warcraft
- 2015-08-08 | Grubby Interview Part 3: Warcraft Commentaries will return soon by Remo of Back2Warcraft
- 2005-05-10 | Grubby's Game by Bunny of wcreplays.net
- 2004-10-13 | Mr. D Interviews Grubby by Mr D of wcreplays.net
- 2003-09-23 | INTERVIEW: 4K.GRUBBY by Ramon of esreality.com
- WCG '04, ESWC '05, BlizzCon '05, WSVG '06, WCG '08 and WEM '09
- WEG 2006 - Warcraft 3 - Grubby Vs. Moon - Game 4 (VOD)
- WCG 2008 - Warcraft 3 Final - Grubby Vs. Moon - Game 3 (Official German VOD)
- The 10 Greatest Players In eSports History (Patrick Howell O'Neill, The Daily Dot)
- "WCG 2005 medalists in Warcraft 3"
- Grubby speaks about his nickname
- Grubby's Esport Index Wacraft III SK-Gaming.com.
- Beyond the Game http://weblogs.hollanddoc.nl/beyondthegame