The Mountain Kings, or 'Thanes' as they are known in Khaz Modan, are the mightiest Dwarven warriors under the mountain. Wielding both enchanted warhammers and hand axes, these fierce fighters live to test themselves against worthy opponents. Unconcerned with their race's preoccupation with mechanical devices and mining precious minerals, Mountain Kings live only for battle. Dedicated to safeguarding the Alliance which saved their kingdom during the Second War, the Mountain Kings can be counted upon to rally behind any banner that stands between freedom and the ever looming shadow of evil.
The Mountain King is one of the top melee Heroes along with the Night Elf Demon Hunter and the Orc Blademaster. In one on one Hero Matches the Mountain King can be one of the best Hero killers with his Storm Bolt ability. Heroes that attempt to run away or try to use spells that require spell channeling can be stopped quickly with Storm Bolt. Storm Bolt is also useful for putting powerful enemy units out of action quickly. But some top Human players such as TillerMaN and Maynard prefer to use Thunder Clap. "Thunder Clap is the best" - Maynard. At higher levels Thunderclap can destroy low hit point units such as Ghouls, and Archers. For other units it can slow them and bring their hit points down. The Mountain King can also stun units with Bash and eventually use Avatar to be even more powerful.
If you are using a Mountain King with an Archmage using Brilliance you can skip Bash and focus on Storm Bolt and Thunder Clap. With the Archmage generating Mana he can have enough to use Storm Bolt instead of Bash. Storm Bolt is also more controllable than the randomness of Bash.
- Use Storm Bolt to interrupt spells that require spell channeling.
- Use Storm Bolt on powerful and dangerous units that you want dead now such as Kodo Beasts, Tauren, Knights, Frost Wyrms, Chimaera.
- Use Storm Bolt on enemy Heroes, especially those that are trying to run away and are almost dead.
- Don't forget you can use Storm Bolt on flying units if you have to.
- This spell will not work on air units. To take full advantage of the spell, use Thunder Clap when the Mountain King is surrounded by enemy units. Move the Mountain King into the middle of a pack of units then use Thunder Clap. Be ready to run or to use another Thunder Clap after the enemy has been slowed.
- Bash is free stun and damage while the Mountain King attacks normally. It can be very useful since it gives extra damage and puts the enemy out of action for a bit. Bash can also be used at the same time as Thunder Clap and Storm Bolt so you can stun something with Bash then Thunder Clap or Storm Bolt something else at the same time.
- You can use Bash against air units if you have an Orb, such as the ones purchased from shops.
- Avatar is very useful. Be sure to use it whenever possible but don't waste it.
- This ability is great when sieging an enemy base with large amounts of towers, as the bonus hitpoints and armor make the Mountain King an excellent meat shield. Remember, you can still cast Holy Light on an Avatared Mountain King.
|Balance Patch History|
|Patch Version||Balance Changes|
|1.30.0|| Storm Bolt damage reduced from 210 to 200 on Level 2, and from 325 to 310 on Level 3|
Thunder Clap area of effect reduced from 65/125/175 to 60/115/160
|1.29|| Mountain King's movement speed increased to 290 from 270|
Thunder Clap damage is increased from 60/100/140 to 65/125/175, and the range is increased from 25/30/35 to 30/35/40
Storm Bolt damage reduced on level 2 (225 to 210) and level 3 (350 to 325)
|1.15|| Bash % chance to hit increased by 5% across all levels.|
|1.13|| Storm Bolt stun is now 5 seconds vs. units and 3 seconds vs. Heroes at all levels. Previously, it had this level of stun at level 1, but went up 2 seconds vs. units and one second vs. Heroes each level. Additionally, level-2 and level-3 damage are now 225 and 350, respectively.|
|1.10||Thunder Clap damage reduced to 60/100/140 from 70/110/150.|