Warcraft Gold League - 2020 - Winter Season
Playoffs : single elimination
The Warcraft Gold League is the most important individual series in 2020, alongside ESL Pro Tour. With one of the biggest prize pool of the year and the obligation to earn his place via a qualifier tournament this is the Warcraft III scene top-notch level.
It is organized by Blizzard Entertainment's Chinese partner : NetEase. During December, the very best players of the world will fight in a double elimination groupstage before going into the single elimination playoffs. As the previous one, the 2020 Winter Season works with a point system featuring ladder ranking and qualifier tournaments.
- 1 Format and dates
- 2 Prize Pool
- 3 Participants
- 4 Broadcasting
- 5 Results
- 6 Statistics
- 7 External links
Format and dates
There are three ways to get a spot for the Warcraft Gold League 2020 Winter Season :
WGL points system
The WGL point system remain the same as the last edition. The NetEase monthly qualifiers consist of two series of 3 monthly tournaments : Open and Pro. Respectively featuring 32 and 16 players each. With top 4 players from Open division switching with last 4 from Pro division each month. The ladder point system stay unchanged too, each month players ranked into the NetEase top 100 got awarded with points.
Eventually 6 players from each Korea and China qualify for the main event.
One qualifier offered two spots.
It's played on November 15th, 4 players were invited and 4 others granted their spots through an open qualifier played on November 14th.
A last isolated qualifier will offer the 2 last spots, it will be played on November 19th.
Group Stage (16 into 8)
The group stage consist of 4 groups of 4 players each:
- All matches played as Bo3;
- Double elimination bracket;
- Top 2 of each group advance to the playoffs;
- played from November 30th to December 4th.
- November 30th: groups A & B winners' semi-finals,
- December 1st: groups C & D winners' semi-finals,
- December 2nd: groups A & B winners' finals & losers' round 1,
- December 3rd: groups C & D winners' finals & losers' round 1,
- December 4th: losers' finals (all group).
The 8 players remaining face in a single elimination bracke :
- In quarter finals groups winners face the 2nd cross group (A vs B & C vs D);
- All matches are Bo5.
- December 5th : quarter finals;
- December 6th : semi-finals, match for third place and final.
¥ 40,000 (≃ $ 60,827) are spread among the players as seen below :
|Place||$ USD||¥ CNY||Player||Team|
|Human (5)||Orc (3)||Undead (4)||Night Elf (4)|
|Players qualified via WGL Point System|
|Qualified via Western Qualifier|
|Qualified via Wild Card qualifier|